Feb 15, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Orioles have arguably had the worst off-season of any Major League team. They had the much-publicized contract snafus with closer Grant Balfour and outfielder Tyler Colvin, backing out of contracts with both at the last minute. They traded closer Jim Johnson and, as some have stated, whiffed on the return.
Most importantly, though, the Orioles have needed to bolster their starting rotation and they have not done that. They recently signed Korean pitcher Suk-Min Yoon, but it remains to be seen how he will contribute. They were interested in Bronson Arroyo, but he signed with the Diamondbacks, citing the Balfour and Colvin issues as a deterrent from playing in Baltimore. They were interested in A.J. Burnett, who wanted to play near his home in Maryland, but lost that battle to the Phillies.
Now, with few options and the regular season drawing ever closer, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Orioles are willing to give up their first round pick, 17th overall, to sign an impact starting pitcher like Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana. As Rosenthal notes, the Orioles are built to compete within the window of the 2014-15 seasons. They would be foolish to enter the regular season without having addressed their most glaring need. Rosenthal adds that if the Orioles decide to stay in-house, they could turn to 2012 first rounder Kevin Gausman to round out the rotation. Still, their depth behind Gausman is lacking and would find themselves scrambling in the event of an injury.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)