Feb 15, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
It would be better if there was no issue at all, but Melvin remains optimistic that Cook will have enough time to be ready for Opening Day. He threw six or seven bullpens coming into camp, so the hope is that he won’t have much trouble catching up with the rest of the relievers. As opposed to a starter who needs to get stretched out, Cook will only need to make a handful of brief appearances before the season.
Cook has been an important part of Oakland’s bullpen over the past two seasons, posting a 2.54 ERA in 142 appearances while averaging 9.4 K/9. Only 13 pitchers have appeared in more games during that timespan.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 31
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 18
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)