Feb 15, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
It would be better if there was no issue at all, but Melvin remains optimistic that Cook will have enough time to be ready for Opening Day. He threw six or seven bullpens coming into camp, so the hope is that he won’t have much trouble catching up with the rest of the relievers. As opposed to a starter who needs to get stretched out, Cook will only need to make a handful of brief appearances before the season.
Cook has been an important part of Oakland’s bullpen over the past two seasons, posting a 2.54 ERA in 142 appearances while averaging 9.4 K/9. Only 13 pitchers have appeared in more games during that timespan.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)