Feb 15, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
It would be better if there was no issue at all, but Melvin remains optimistic that Cook will have enough time to be ready for Opening Day. He threw six or seven bullpens coming into camp, so the hope is that he won’t have much trouble catching up with the rest of the relievers. As opposed to a starter who needs to get stretched out, Cook will only need to make a handful of brief appearances before the season.
Cook has been an important part of Oakland’s bullpen over the past two seasons, posting a 2.54 ERA in 142 appearances while averaging 9.4 K/9. Only 13 pitchers have appeared in more games during that timespan.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)