Ian Kinsler is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 16, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

In anticipation of sweating much less in Detroit than he did in Arlington, Texas, new Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler showed up to camp this week with an already-trim physique …

Kinsler was traded to the Tigers in late November for first baseman Prince Fielder and cash.

The 31-year-old second baseman hit .277/.344/.413 last season with 13 homers and 15 steals.

1. apkyletexas - Feb 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I don’t know if 10 pounds lighter really qualifies as BSOHL. Especially when there is a reasonable explanation for it, like no longer facing the Texas heat, which is murderous. I’ve heard frequent reports of heat in excess of 110 degrees on the field during games.

2. doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Well at least someone on that team is in shape.

…that was probably uncalled for

• historiophiliac - Feb 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yes, it was. That wasn’t smug — it was petty…and not factually based anyway. Boooo!!!!

/throws peanuts

3. kruegere - Feb 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If I lost 10 pounds, I’d be in worse shape.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Feb 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM

How would being 10 pounds heavier in February have any bearing on how your body reacts to heat in June-July-August? And are we talking about 10 pounds of muscle, or fat? Because if he used to report to camp with 10 more pounds if muscle, wouldn’t that mean he was in better shape when he was with Texas, and therefore not in BSOHL right now?

Further, given the chilly temps in Dey- twah through the spring, wouldn’t you want a few extra pounds to stay warm? (I mean, that’s what I tell *myself* regarding my annual winter poundage fest. :)

5. bshook87 - Feb 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Having lived in Texas my whole life (and played baseball most of it), I can tell you that baseball in the summer is brutal. 110 degrees is not out of the question, and you almost need a little extra fat at the start of it. You will lose weight over the summer, guaranteed. That’s what Ian is referencing I’m sure. Look at Prince now, and then compare it to the end of the season, he will lose weight whether he wants to or not!
    On a side note, the dugout stays around 75 degrees all the time, they’ve got industrial sized coolers blowing gale force cold air in there all game long. I took a tour last year and they demonstrated them for us.

• historiophiliac - Feb 16, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I don’t understand that. I can see where you lose weight over the season from the exercise but I don’t know what the weather has to do with that. It seems to me the heat would just make you lose water weight. I don’t know how fat (insulation) would help in the heat as opposed to the cold. I’m not really clear how more muscle would help either. I haven’t noted any fluctuations in my weight being particularly helpful in particular seasons, but I hibernate in the summer anyway. How does the weight help?

6. Minoring In Baseball - Feb 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I’m hoping he’s in the best shape. The Tigers will probably need him at the leadoff spot this season, and he’ll hopefully be running the bases quite a bit in front of Hunter, Miggy, and V-Mart.

• highsportsiq - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Tigers will cut him. He’s terrible

7. jeremylamer1976 - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM

That’s funny – Prince Fielder said the same thing: He’s in the best shape of HIS life. Maybe if they were in the best shape of their lives with their previous teams, they might not have been traded…

• highsportsiq - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Fielder has over 500 games played in a row, missed only 4 games in his 10 year career. No other player is close to that bench mark

8. highsportsiq - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Ian Kinsler flat out stinks, he gets caught stealing as many times as he’s successful. Worst 2B in the league year after year. Power’s been gone since he quit taking roids. Tigers fans and the baseball world at large consider the Fielder and $35 million for Kinsler to be the worst trade in baseball history. The Rangers have been trying to pawn this guy off for 3 years. He’s infamous for always leaving the bag too early on fly balls. Tigers had a .318 hitter in Omar Infante and went with Kinsler who won’ hit ,218. Tigers are pegged for last place in the Central now

• hockeyfan28 - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

If Justin Verlander or Matt Scherzer get traded then you might have an argument till then you might as well sit back and get used to the fact the Tigers will lock up this division by August

• bshook87 - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

You’re way off base, Kinsler has been to several all star games very recently and was the lynchpin to two world series teams. He’s got good defense that will upgrade an awful Detroit one, pops up too much, but gets on base quite a bit.
      You’re one of the few who would say that he sucks. Rangers fans were sorry to lose him, even though Texas obviously won the trade.

9. baseballlifestyle101 - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:46 AM