Feb 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The A.J. Burnett signing is sounding more and more important for the Phillies with every piece of pitcher-related news that comes out, it seems. At around the same time the Phillies handed a contract to Burnett, they announced that Cole Hamels wouldn’t be ready for Opening Day due to shoulder tendinitis.
Now, according to Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly, Jonathan Pettibone is feeling shoulder discomfort again. GM Ruben Amaro said the injury is “similar, but not as severe” as the shoulder injury that brought Pettibone’s season to an end in late July last season.
Pettibone on his injury:
“It’s kind of the early stages of what happened last year,” he said. “So it’s good that we stop it early and jump on some anti-inflammatories and hopefully get it before it gets too serious.”
Pettibone was expected to compete for the #5 spot in the rotation along with Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Roberto Hernandez. The Phillies’ pitching depth is razor-thin as it is, having also learned in January that Adam Morgan will miss most of the 2014 season.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)