Feb 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The A.J. Burnett signing is sounding more and more important for the Phillies with every piece of pitcher-related news that comes out, it seems. At around the same time the Phillies handed a contract to Burnett, they announced that Cole Hamels wouldn’t be ready for Opening Day due to shoulder tendinitis.
Now, according to Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly, Jonathan Pettibone is feeling shoulder discomfort again. GM Ruben Amaro said the injury is “similar, but not as severe” as the shoulder injury that brought Pettibone’s season to an end in late July last season.
Pettibone on his injury:
“It’s kind of the early stages of what happened last year,” he said. “So it’s good that we stop it early and jump on some anti-inflammatories and hopefully get it before it gets too serious.”
Pettibone was expected to compete for the #5 spot in the rotation along with Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Roberto Hernandez. The Phillies’ pitching depth is razor-thin as it is, having also learned in January that Adam Morgan will miss most of the 2014 season.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)