Feb 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Mark Mulder received some sad news yesterday when tests revealed that he suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon while doing agility drills prior to a bullpen session. The left-hander was well on his way to pitching again in the Majors after a five-year layoff due to persistent shoulder problems, but he now yet more adversity to deal with.
Mulder, 36, isn’t ruling out another comeback attempt, but he also isn’t exactly guaranteeing one, either. Via Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com:
Mulder didn’t necessarily rule out a return, though. He’ll know a lot more when he meets with the doctor who will perform his surgery on Monday. But rehab will be somewhere between five and eight months, which means the earliest he can come back is 2015.
Asked if he’d like to pitch again, the 36-year-old left-hander said: “I’d love to say yes, but I don’t know. I have to wait and see what the doctors say — see what the process is of how healthy I can get it, how good it feels.”
Many across baseball expressed sympathy for Mulder, including manager Mike Scioscia and former Athletics teammate Tim Hudson. Scioscia said, “This guy worked so hard. He was legitimately throwing the ball close to where he was in his prime.” Hudson said he was “sick to my stomach” (via Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area).
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)