Feb 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Mark Mulder received some sad news yesterday when tests revealed that he suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon while doing agility drills prior to a bullpen session. The left-hander was well on his way to pitching again in the Majors after a five-year layoff due to persistent shoulder problems, but he now yet more adversity to deal with.
Mulder, 36, isn’t ruling out another comeback attempt, but he also isn’t exactly guaranteeing one, either. Via Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com:
Mulder didn’t necessarily rule out a return, though. He’ll know a lot more when he meets with the doctor who will perform his surgery on Monday. But rehab will be somewhere between five and eight months, which means the earliest he can come back is 2015.
Asked if he’d like to pitch again, the 36-year-old left-hander said: “I’d love to say yes, but I don’t know. I have to wait and see what the doctors say — see what the process is of how healthy I can get it, how good it feels.”
Many across baseball expressed sympathy for Mulder, including manager Mike Scioscia and former Athletics teammate Tim Hudson. Scioscia said, “This guy worked so hard. He was legitimately throwing the ball close to where he was in his prime.” Hudson said he was “sick to my stomach” (via Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area).
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)