Feb 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Via beat writer Dan Hayes at CSNChicago.com:
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Nate Jones has been prescribed butt rest over bed rest.
Per the training staff, the White Sox reliever has been restricted from any baseball activity for three or four days as he rests a gluteal strain that has bothered him for more than a week.
Jones doesn’t expect the injury to affect his status for the start of the regular season. The 28-year-old right-hander has a cool 3.31 career ERA and 154 strikeouts in 149 2/3 major league innings, and he’s the current favorite for Chicago’s opening at closer.
“We’ve got time to fix it and let it calm down, let it settle down,” Jones told CSNChicago.com on Sunday morning. “Once I get back out there, I’m still going to compete and attack and go after that job just like everybody else. … I believe it’s nothing big. Just staying ahead of it, let it calm down.”
The White Sox traded Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks in mid-December.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)