Feb 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Via beat writer Dan Hayes at CSNChicago.com:
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Nate Jones has been prescribed butt rest over bed rest.
Per the training staff, the White Sox reliever has been restricted from any baseball activity for three or four days as he rests a gluteal strain that has bothered him for more than a week.
Jones doesn’t expect the injury to affect his status for the start of the regular season. The 28-year-old right-hander has a cool 3.31 career ERA and 154 strikeouts in 149 2/3 major league innings, and he’s the current favorite for Chicago’s opening at closer.
“We’ve got time to fix it and let it calm down, let it settle down,” Jones told CSNChicago.com on Sunday morning. “Once I get back out there, I’m still going to compete and attack and go after that job just like everybody else. … I believe it’s nothing big. Just staying ahead of it, let it calm down.”
The White Sox traded Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks in mid-December.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 105
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)