Feb 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Via beat writer Dan Hayes at CSNChicago.com:
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Nate Jones has been prescribed butt rest over bed rest.
Per the training staff, the White Sox reliever has been restricted from any baseball activity for three or four days as he rests a gluteal strain that has bothered him for more than a week.
Jones doesn’t expect the injury to affect his status for the start of the regular season. The 28-year-old right-hander has a cool 3.31 career ERA and 154 strikeouts in 149 2/3 major league innings, and he’s the current favorite for Chicago’s opening at closer.
“We’ve got time to fix it and let it calm down, let it settle down,” Jones told CSNChicago.com on Sunday morning. “Once I get back out there, I’m still going to compete and attack and go after that job just like everybody else. … I believe it’s nothing big. Just staying ahead of it, let it calm down.”
The White Sox traded Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks in mid-December.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)