Feb 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Via beat writer Dan Hayes at CSNChicago.com:
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Nate Jones has been prescribed butt rest over bed rest.
Per the training staff, the White Sox reliever has been restricted from any baseball activity for three or four days as he rests a gluteal strain that has bothered him for more than a week.
Jones doesn’t expect the injury to affect his status for the start of the regular season. The 28-year-old right-hander has a cool 3.31 career ERA and 154 strikeouts in 149 2/3 major league innings, and he’s the current favorite for Chicago’s opening at closer.
“We’ve got time to fix it and let it calm down, let it settle down,” Jones told CSNChicago.com on Sunday morning. “Once I get back out there, I’m still going to compete and attack and go after that job just like everybody else. … I believe it’s nothing big. Just staying ahead of it, let it calm down.”
The White Sox traded Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks in mid-December.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)