Feb 17, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
We’re still on the conditioning stories because, well, that’s all that’s really happening so far. This one is good though. Marlins ace Jose Fernandez and his love affair with cycling:
Fernandez wasn’t just tooling around soaking up sun and fresh air. Riding in a peloton that typically contained at least 50 serious cycling enthusiasts and grew to as many as 200 on some weekend rides, he maintained a frenetic pace for nearly 600 miles a week.
His bike is suh-weet, too. A Specialized S-Works Venge racer that probably cost him around $10K. And it also allowed him to report to camp at 215 pounds after pitching at around 240 last season.
Pitching is all in the legs, right? That’s what people say anyway. If so, Fernandez is gonna have a whale of a season.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)