Matt Garza passed on a $52 million offer because “it is what it is”

Feb 17, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

garza wide getty Getty Images

Matt Garza is one cool cat. He signed a contract with the Brewers for four-years and $50 million at the end of January. But that came weeks after he passed up a bigger offer — four years and $52 million — from the Angels. Why did he pass it up? He was busy, man. Adam McCalvy reports:

“They offered, but it was more of a weird situation . . . I was on vacation with my wife and I didn’t want to be disturbed, and it was like, ‘Here it is, we’ll pull it in a certain amount of hours.’ I didn’t have a chance to respond, so I just said, ‘Whatever. It is what it is . . . I had no worries. God’s going to make things work out either way. It is what it is.”

It is what it is. Think about that, man.

1. philsieg - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Wow, that’s heavy, man.

• senatorsguy - Feb 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I mean, it feels radical in kind of a tubular sort of way, but most of all, it feels out there.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 15, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Right on!

2. yardleyphils - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

that’s easy to say when the other offer is $50

3. nobody78 - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Somehow I feel like his life will not be appreciably worse if he pulls in $50 million instead of $52 million over the next four years.

4. jarathen - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Dumb move by the Angels to hold it out and withdraw so quick, and equally dumb for Garza to be on vacation and that means no dice.

The Brewers aren’t terrible, but the division is stacked. Garza could’ve been part of an Angels team that has potential in a tough division that is still easier than the NL Central.

5. greej1938l - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I mean…he was on vacation…who wants to work on vacation…..if you look at it that way anyways. I personally would
    Be Okay with 50 million instead of 52. But hey. That’s just me

6. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Just goes to show you that player can leave the Cubs, but you can’ take the Cubs out of the player.

7. kylewo - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Personally, I’d rather live in LA, no offense to Milwaukee. But, if I were an Angels fan I would be half way to a brain aneurysm over the way they run things.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Well, he’d be living in Orange County, not LA. But the point still stands. And yes, the way the team is run is worthy of multiple facepalms.

• shortbusrebel - Feb 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

After taxes he’d probably make the same amount. Plus the Brewers are closer to a WS than the Angels…

8. yashraba - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man

9. wjarvis - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM

With what income tax would be if he played his home games in California vs Wisconsin, I wonder if the $52 million contract would even result in him having more take home pay.

• gothapotamus90210 - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Bingo.

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM

LA is around 14% and Milwaukee is upwards of 7% so he’s actually getting more money with the Brewers. Not to mention the cost of living is considerably lower in Milwaukee.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

And how much better is the bratwurst in Milwaukee?

• derklempner - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

@Old Gator:

A lot. But for the real good bratwurst, you need to head north of Milwaukee to the Sheboygan area. Not that it’s terribly far.

As a former resident of Chicago and Milwaukee, constant visits to family in the Milwaukee area for my 40+ years, and being a current WI resident, I can tell you that just living in this area (northern IL/southern WI) makes it easy to find the best bratwurst in the good ‘ol USA.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM

“Not to mention the cost of living is considerably lower in Milwaukee.”

Right.

The downside to this, though, is that you have to live in Milwaukee.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM

derklempner: I will mosey up the lake to Sheboygan in search of the perfect bratwurst next time I’m up that way. I’m trying to remember the name of the uncannily wunnerful German restaurant – just north of downtown next to our hotel, across from someplace that made and retailed all kinds of great sausages – where I had a couple of brats that rolled my eyes up in my head. It was a deliberately antique-looking place with Bavarian pretenses. Decor or not, the food was terrific and the film and literature society executive board was picking up the tab. I almost felt guilty being the only one with room for dessert but no pangs of conscience get between me and a freshly made batch of rote grutze, you know?

• billybawl - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM

You’re all overlooking the lost endorsement opportunity with Head and Shoulders with Old Spice had he signed with the Angels. They could have had some doe-eyed model sniffing his weird nubby beard while cooing that he’s 100% handsome.

10. billybawl - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM

This doesn’t make sense. My guess is there’s more to the story.

• jkcalhoun - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Are you suggesting that it isn’t what it is or that it is what it isn’t?

• billybawl - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Both!

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Isn’t it just, though?

11. jolink653 - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Who puts out an offer like that? Wouldn’t you want the player to have some time to think it over rather than give him a few hours before you pull it?

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

It’s fairly common so that you don’t allow the player, (or buyer), to shop your offer around.

• billybawl - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

But wouldn’t you think either the offer was an opening bid and the Angels had to expect negotiations would follow, or that it was the final offer following negotiations? They’re making it sound like the Angels called Garza’s agent out of the blue with a no-haggling $52M offer, and a few hours to consider. Sounds fishy to me.

12. thebirdsareback - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The Orioles really dropped the ball not grabbing him up. Proven in the AL East, what more can you ask for? hes getting less then AJ “I am old as *(&#$%” Burnett and thats a travesty.

13. madtownthrowdown - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Factor in 81 games of California taxes vs 81 games of Wisconsin taxes and he probably made more money by taking a 2 million dollar hit.

14. discountdoublecheck - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

“Our offer is $52 million…you have two options…take it NOW…or settle for a measly $50 million soon after. Your choice!”

Man those Angels drive a hard bargain!

15. karlkolchak - Feb 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I really doubt if God cares one whit how much money Garza makes.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Looking around the planet, it’s hard to single out anything that he does care about.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM

He said God doesn’t give a whit. he he

16. daveitsgood - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Maybe he was too busy at the time telling his wife to shut up. We all know his views on that.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Clearly, he only thinks she’s worth $2 million.

17. paperlions - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Wait. So this guys goes batsh!t crazy when teams bunt against him, but shrugs off this? I guess money isn’t the most important thing to him, bunting is.

18. stephenolszewski - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Anyone of us would’ve been pissed to miss that chance to respond am I right?

19. bfunk1978 - Feb 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM

SOCKS.

Eso si que es.

20. huskerguy - Feb 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Gator- Karl Ratzsch’s?? That’s my favorite.

There’s also Mader’s but I don’t think it’s as good

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2014 at 3:27 AM

The Carl part sounds familiar. It was quite a few years ago. BTW there was a funky neighborhood up on the northeast side of town, near the lake, where we found a damned fine little Ethiopian restaurant too.

21. markofapro - Feb 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

He does NOT want to play in the AL west. That’s the story.

• chunkala - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Absolutely right, Garza is not going to choose to pitch in AL West or any AL division for that matter if he can pitch in the NL Central. We saw what a disaster he was the 2nd half of 2013.

22. 15412pack - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

$52 Million in California is probably way less than $50 Million in Wisconsin after tax.

• 15412pack - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM

see it was covered already…

23. louhudson23 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Any player who makes this decision based on the dollar amount is making a mistake,in any case. At this level,if the dollar amounts truly make a difference,then the money is of no use anyway,…it isn’t what you make,it’s what you have when it’s all over….playing for a team you don’t really care for in a town that isn’t your first choice is giving up the power and independence that is the real value to having all that money in the first place…..If Garza wanted to be an Angel,he would be….

24. J. Robert Hanson - Feb 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Wow, way to through the Angels under the bus by coming out with this in public. Maybe the Angels did make a good move taking the offer off the table.

• J. Robert Hanson - Feb 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

What type of idiot would spell “throw” wrong?

25. tonyz6060chevy - Mar 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Who wants to be part of a team that throws away one of their more popular players and young stud with the bat for a crap shoot of no name pitchers ? the Angels have not had a decent G.M. since they canned Buzzy Bavasi Jr.!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate