Pedro Florimon expected miss at least two weeks after appendectomy

Feb 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Pedro Florimon AP AP

According to Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com, Twins shortstop Pedro Florimon is expected to miss two weeks after having his appendix removed this afternoon.

Florimon woke up in the middle of the night with discomfort in his right side and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with appendicitis. The good news is that his appendix did not burst, so he was able to have arthroscopic surgery, which greatly reduces the expected recovery time.

Florimon, 27, hit .221/.281/.330 with nine home runs, 44 RBI, and 15 stolen bases in 134 games last season. He’s expected to serve as the starting shortstop for Minnesota again this year.

1. chacochicken - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I really feel like I need to come up with a way to cash in on this MLB player-appendectomy craze. All the kids are having it done these days. Maybe preemptively remove it and both hamate bones for one low off season fee?

2. happytwinsfan - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

oh my, how can we do without our good but not elite fielding, light hitting shortstop, an integral part of our air rifle offense.

i’m gonna make me a stephen drew snowman and hope that jimmie pohlad drives by and gets the hint. well maybe after i finish my shoveling, damnit.

3. slaugin - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I feel like I pretty much know every starter in MLB and I have no idea who this guy is.

• Cris E - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM

A lot pf people are getting all tangled up in this “starter” notion. The Twins are having a similar problem and have also mislabeled him thusly. I like to think of him as coming off the bench in the first inning.

• dlambrecht - Feb 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Lol! Winner of yesterday’s internet. Well played!

4. meatcarroll - Feb 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Pokemon > Florimon

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3276)