Feb 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Florimon woke up in the middle of the night with discomfort in his right side and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with appendicitis. The good news is that his appendix did not burst, so he was able to have arthroscopic surgery, which greatly reduces the expected recovery time.
Florimon, 27, hit .221/.281/.330 with nine home runs, 44 RBI, and 15 stolen bases in 134 games last season. He’s expected to serve as the starting shortstop for Minnesota again this year.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)