Feb 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Florimon woke up in the middle of the night with discomfort in his right side and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with appendicitis. The good news is that his appendix did not burst, so he was able to have arthroscopic surgery, which greatly reduces the expected recovery time.
Florimon, 27, hit .221/.281/.330 with nine home runs, 44 RBI, and 15 stolen bases in 134 games last season. He’s expected to serve as the starting shortstop for Minnesota again this year.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)