Feb 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Florimon woke up in the middle of the night with discomfort in his right side and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with appendicitis. The good news is that his appendix did not burst, so he was able to have arthroscopic surgery, which greatly reduces the expected recovery time.
Florimon, 27, hit .221/.281/.330 with nine home runs, 44 RBI, and 15 stolen bases in 134 games last season. He’s expected to serve as the starting shortstop for Minnesota again this year.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)