Rafael Soriano has lost ten pounds, found his breaking ball

Feb 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 8.49.44 AM Getty Images

This isn’t BSOHL territory — no one makes that claim here or anything close to it — but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Rafael Soriano has lost 10 pounds and looks a lot learner as camp opens.

Soriano started working a month early. He claims having extra weight on him last year is what sapped his velocity and kept him from throwing his breaking ball effectively. He became a fastball-only pitcher for all practical purposes and as Soriano notes, not many people can get away with that:

“If I’ve got my stuff and they hit it, I’m fine,” Soriano said. “I’ll take it. I got a problem when my second pitch is not there. Most of the time I throw a fastball. There’s one guy that do that [stuff]. Mariano [Rivera]. There’s nobody else.”

I bet he didn’t say “stuff.” And I bet here, when he was talking about Florida being cold compared to the Dominican, he didn’t say “messed”:

At the locker next to him, Ross Detwiler overheard Soriano’s plans. “Too cold?” Detwiler asked him.

“The problem is when I go to the Dominican right away, everything be [messed] up,” Soriano replied.

“You can come stay in St. Louis one winter with me,” Detwiler said.

“No chance, bro,” Soriano said, drawing laughter from Detwiler.

Interesting column about an interesting and, I would suspect, kinda complicated guy that is probably destined to hit the free agent market next winter.

1. jpash42 - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Looks a lot learner eh?? Craig…u dumb.

• spudchukar - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I actually liked the “error”. I think Craig has coined a new word. Learner, both thinner and smarter. Well done o’ smooth pated one.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM

He has become a lean mean pitching machine bro.

3. nymets4ever - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Riiight, it’s just so interesting how he both talks and acts like a douchebag. Let’s marvel at the complex nuances of how he throws cursewords around in the most pointless contexts, and how he yanks his shirt untucked the nanosecond after every game. What a renaissance man. lol

• spudchukar - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It is his second language. I’d like to see how well you would place your colorful language in Spanish.

• karlkolchak - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Speaking of someone who is fluent in Douchebag.

4. bankboy2012 - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

So his breaking ball was trapped under a fat roll?

5. Francisco (FC) - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Rafael Soriano has lost ten pounds, found his breaking ball

It’s always in the last place you look.

• karlkolchak - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Stuck between the couch cushions again. Should’ve known.

• paperlions - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Well, I would hope so….I mean, if you find it and keep looking for it anyway, you’ve got more problems than lost balls.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5325)