Feb 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
This isn’t BSOHL territory — no one makes that claim here or anything close to it — but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Rafael Soriano has lost 10 pounds and looks a lot learner as camp opens.
Soriano started working a month early. He claims having extra weight on him last year is what sapped his velocity and kept him from throwing his breaking ball effectively. He became a fastball-only pitcher for all practical purposes and as Soriano notes, not many people can get away with that:
“If I’ve got my stuff and they hit it, I’m fine,” Soriano said. “I’ll take it. I got a problem when my second pitch is not there. Most of the time I throw a fastball. There’s one guy that do that [stuff]. Mariano [Rivera]. There’s nobody else.”
I bet he didn’t say “stuff.” And I bet here, when he was talking about Florida being cold compared to the Dominican, he didn’t say “messed”:
At the locker next to him, Ross Detwiler overheard Soriano’s plans. “Too cold?” Detwiler asked him.
“The problem is when I go to the Dominican right away, everything be [messed] up,” Soriano replied.
“You can come stay in St. Louis one winter with me,” Detwiler said.
“No chance, bro,” Soriano said, drawing laughter from Detwiler.
Interesting column about an interesting and, I would suspect, kinda complicated guy that is probably destined to hit the free agent market next winter.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)