Feb 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
This isn’t BSOHL territory — no one makes that claim here or anything close to it — but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Rafael Soriano has lost 10 pounds and looks a lot learner as camp opens.
Soriano started working a month early. He claims having extra weight on him last year is what sapped his velocity and kept him from throwing his breaking ball effectively. He became a fastball-only pitcher for all practical purposes and as Soriano notes, not many people can get away with that:
“If I’ve got my stuff and they hit it, I’m fine,” Soriano said. “I’ll take it. I got a problem when my second pitch is not there. Most of the time I throw a fastball. There’s one guy that do that [stuff]. Mariano [Rivera]. There’s nobody else.”
I bet he didn’t say “stuff.” And I bet here, when he was talking about Florida being cold compared to the Dominican, he didn’t say “messed”:
At the locker next to him, Ross Detwiler overheard Soriano’s plans. “Too cold?” Detwiler asked him.
“The problem is when I go to the Dominican right away, everything be [messed] up,” Soriano replied.
“You can come stay in St. Louis one winter with me,” Detwiler said.
“No chance, bro,” Soriano said, drawing laughter from Detwiler.
Interesting column about an interesting and, I would suspect, kinda complicated guy that is probably destined to hit the free agent market next winter.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)