Feb 17, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
We have an early front-runner for this year’s version of Casper Wells.
The Royals announced this afternoon that they claimed outfielder Jimmy Paredes off waivers from the Orioles. This is his third organization in the past two weeks.
Paredes’ journey began last November when the Marlins claimed him off waivers from the Astros. He was designated for assignment 10 days ago and claimed off waivers by the Orioles on Saturday, but he was only with the organization for less than 48 hours. He’ll enter Royals’ camp out of options, so he would have to be exposed to waivers if he doesn’t make the team out of spring training. In other words, maybe he shouldn’t get too comfortable.
Paredes, a 25-year-old switch-hitter, owns a .234/.274/.311 batting line over 118 games in the majors.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)