Feb 18, 2014, 7:24 AM EST
I was unemployed for a month and a half a few years back. It wasn’t voluntary. I just got laid off and it took me a bit longer than I thought it would to find another job. Thanks, financial crisis of 2008. Anyway, I called it a sabbatical because that sounded fancier than saying I was unemployed, so let’s say the same for Barry Zito. Who, as Jon Heyman reports, has the benefit of some extra free time right now:
Barry Zito plans to take some time off, but he isn’t retiring. Curiously, almost nothing was written about Zito this winter, and the reason for that is there’s no evidence he actively sought a job. Just the same, Zito isn’t ready to call it quits, either, according to people in the know.
I wonder if he’ll do what I did during my sabbatical: read the entirety of “Y: The Last Man” and have coffee with neighborhood moms while I killed time as the kids were in preschool. It was actually pretty fun, if you set aside all of the crippling anxiety about not being able to feed your family if you can’t find a job eventually. It ended up working out for me. It’ll end up working out for Zito too.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27