David Ortiz on his critics: “[Expletive] them. I’m tired of hearing them talk [expletive] about me.”

Feb 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz gets a lot of criticism for having the audacity to want to be paid like the superstar he is. Actually, to be paid far less than a lot of superstars make. He makes $15 million, after all, and that’s less than A.J. Burnett makes. Yet people still complain about him wanting to get an extra year on his deal here and there.

He had a message for those guys today:

“I don’t even know why they’re bitching about me talking about contracts,” Ortiz said. “Guys putting up my numbers, they’re making $25, $30 million. I’m not asking for that. I’m asking for half of it. And they’re still bitching about it? (Expletive) them. I’m tired of hearing them talk (expletive) about me when I talk about my contract. Hey, every time I talk about my contract, I earn it, (expletive). So don’t be giving me that (expletive).”

I’m not sure anyone else could get away with that kind of comment. But then again, I don’t know anyone else who is in the MVP conversation year-in, year-out and just led his team to a World Series title and still gets slammed by the local press all the time either.

1. gibbskins9 - Feb 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM

PED’s Bro, enjoy

2. kedaco - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

It’s all about the “ROIDS”, congrats you are obviously one step ahead of the law. While it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to stay ahead of the MLB testing program.

3. sportsdrenched - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I don’t know why more established stars in any sport don’t have this reaction.

4. ez4u2sa - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM

What Ortiz doesn’t seem to get is the fact that Red Sox Nation is sick of hearing talk about himself.

5. jimeejohnson - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

F+ck you Big Papi!

6. stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

This seems to be a regular ST ritual for Ortiz.

7. yordo - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Was this directed at me? Not impressed.

8. ejannetta - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Ortiz is one of the biggest fraud’s in baseball…guaranteed he has been juicing since he and Manny were together on the Sox…..Everything has come out about A-Rod and how he was able to use PED’s that would be untraceable in his system only hours later after taking them…

9. johnnycantread - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Could someone explain how Senator Mitchell’s connection with the BoSox was not a conflict of interest?

10. johnnycantread - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Could someone explain how Senator Mitchell’s connection to the BoSox was not a conflict of interest?

11. johnnycantread - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM

“Hello?… hello… hello… Echo… echo… echo… Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon… Manny Mota… Mota… Mota…”

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3090)