David Ortiz on his critics: “[Expletive] them. I’m tired of hearing them talk [expletive] about me.”
Feb 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
David Ortiz gets a lot of criticism for having the audacity to want to be paid like the superstar he is. Actually, to be paid far less than a lot of superstars make. He makes $15 million, after all, and that’s less than A.J. Burnett makes. Yet people still complain about him wanting to get an extra year on his deal here and there.
“I don’t even know why they’re bitching about me talking about contracts,” Ortiz said. “Guys putting up my numbers, they’re making $25, $30 million. I’m not asking for that. I’m asking for half of it. And they’re still bitching about it? (Expletive) them. I’m tired of hearing them talk (expletive) about me when I talk about my contract. Hey, every time I talk about my contract, I earn it, (expletive). So don’t be giving me that (expletive).”
I’m not sure anyone else could get away with that kind of comment. But then again, I don’t know anyone else who is in the MVP conversation year-in, year-out and just led his team to a World Series title and still gets slammed by the local press all the time either.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)