Feb 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Mark Mulder‘s comeback attempt ending before it really even began thanks to a torn Achilles’ tendon took a dent out of the Angels’ rotation depth, but they still aren’t willing to trust Joe Blanton and his $8.5 million salary.
Blanton went 2-14 with a 6.04 ERA last season after signing with the Angels as a free agent and in talking to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times manager Mike Scioscia made it pretty clear that he’s not guaranteed a rotation spot:
There was a crevice in the pitching staff that needed to be filled. It wasn’t a little crack. It was big. … Joe needs to make adjustments and put his best foot forward. He had a terrible season, but when he’s throwing to the best of his ability he’s capable of getting major league hitters out.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from a guy the team gave $15 million to about 14 months ago. In terms of finding a silver lining in Blanton’s ugly 2013, as usual he posted a nice K/BB ratio at 108/34 in 133 innings, but he also served up 29 homers and that’s always been the biggest problem for him. He figures to be better, mostly because he can’t be worse, but Blanton hasn’t posted a better-than-average ERA since 2009.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)