Feb 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Mark Mulder‘s comeback attempt ending before it really even began thanks to a torn Achilles’ tendon took a dent out of the Angels’ rotation depth, but they still aren’t willing to trust Joe Blanton and his $8.5 million salary.
Blanton went 2-14 with a 6.04 ERA last season after signing with the Angels as a free agent and in talking to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times manager Mike Scioscia made it pretty clear that he’s not guaranteed a rotation spot:
There was a crevice in the pitching staff that needed to be filled. It wasn’t a little crack. It was big. … Joe needs to make adjustments and put his best foot forward. He had a terrible season, but when he’s throwing to the best of his ability he’s capable of getting major league hitters out.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from a guy the team gave $15 million to about 14 months ago. In terms of finding a silver lining in Blanton’s ugly 2013, as usual he posted a nice K/BB ratio at 108/34 in 133 innings, but he also served up 29 homers and that’s always been the biggest problem for him. He figures to be better, mostly because he can’t be worse, but Blanton hasn’t posted a better-than-average ERA since 2009.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)