Pirates “continue to monitor” the Mets’ Ike Davis

Feb 18, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT

ike davis mets getty Getty Images

The Pirates got an underwhelming .768 OPS from the first base position in 2013 and lost Justin Morneau this winter to free agency. If the 2014 season started today, Gaby Sanchez and his .258/.337/.417 career batting line would be Pittsburgh’s primary option at baseball’s most premium offensive position. And that’s not ideal.

According to Jayson Stark at ESPN.com, the Pirates “continue to monitor” Mets first baseman Ike Davis, who is competing for a starting job this spring with Lucas Duda. The Bucs have been linked recently to free agent Kendrys Morales, but Stark says there “doesn’t seem to be much substance” to those rumors. Justin Smoak or Mitch Moreland could become trade targets for the Bucs depending on how the Nelson Cruz shoe drops.

Davis batted just .205/.326/.334 last season for New York, but he slugged 32 home runs in 2012 and registered .925 OPS in 149 plate appearances the season before that. The 26-year-old former first-round pick has much more upside than Sanchez, who will turn 31 years old at the end of this upcoming summer.

1. Ayana Rashed - Feb 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Reblogged this on Imarashed.

• mtr75 - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Nobody cares, and nobody’s going to read your blog. We all think you’re a loser, and we know you recommended this post yourself. Stop. Please, just stop.

2. hep3 - Feb 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The Bucs like Ike!

3. chill1184 - Feb 18, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Interesting…..

4. musketmaniac - Feb 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

long term Davis will be just fine, I don’t think he can add anything to this team. Sanchez/lambo will be better than everyone expects.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I don’t know much about lambo, but folks have been waiting a long time for Gabby Sanchez to be “better than everyone expects.” He had a promising rookie year and was an all-star for the Feesh oncet, but he really never lived up to his promise. He was a friendly, outgoing guy, very fan-conscious and accessible, and I always hoped he’d figure it all out one day. It hasn’t happened yet. Why do you think he’ll catch on now?

5. musketmaniac - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Maturity, The only eye test I have is his defense. Very few pirate first baseman over those 20 years of losing were major league first baseman. A lot of big league bats with minor league gloves. They could have afforded Jones, and they could have went after morneu(bad trade in my opinion). But of the three they were quick to separate Sanchez from those two. Unlike most pirate fans I see where the ownership is heading. maybe I am taking more in the fact that they were quick to get rid of jones, not to pursue morneu. meaning they see Sanchez upside. even if I am wrong this is still the same team they put on the field last April. Minus A.j. and jones plus Cole and lambo.

6. kappy32 - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

As a Mets fan I would prefer the Bucs to take Lucas Duda. I don’t care if the return is less, I just want Duda off this team. I am convinced that Duda has some secret sex photos he has been blackmailing the Mets front office with because despite his ridiculously dismal performance since being called up here, he has been handed 2 starting jobs without competition (2012 – LF; 2013 – RF) and there are reports that Alderson & Co. prefer Duda to be the starting 1B over Ike Davis. Collins prefers Davis, so this is going to be interesting. I can guarantee one thing though… If Duda is given the 1B job this year he will play himself into a AAA demotion by July, just like he has done the past 2 seasons with the past 2 starting jobs given to him.

• kappy32 - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Correction:
      Duda played RF in 2012 & LF in 2013, not the other way around I mistakenly wrote above.

7. carpi2 - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Kendrys Morales is probably their best option at first base. Especially with the Mets, supposedly, asking a high price in return for Davis. I don’t know why teams are so hesitant to give up a first-round amateur draft pick, when they can get a good free agent on a team friendly deal.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2643)