Feb 18, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox are engaged in negotiations with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano. Rosenthal says Boston’s front office is looking at Capuano as a potential swingman — somebody who would pitch primarily in relief but could also be available for some spot starts.
Capuano registered a 4.26 ERA and 81/24 K/BB ratio across 105 2/3 innings (20 starts and four relief appearances) last season for the Dodgers. He has held left-handed batters to a .231/.288/.331 slash line for his career and left-handed batters hit just .248/.274/.292 against him in 2013.
Capuano, 35, has also been linked to the Mariners, Marlins, and White Sox this offseason.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)