Feb 18, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox are engaged in negotiations with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano. Rosenthal says Boston’s front office is looking at Capuano as a potential swingman — somebody who would pitch primarily in relief but could also be available for some spot starts.
Capuano registered a 4.26 ERA and 81/24 K/BB ratio across 105 2/3 innings (20 starts and four relief appearances) last season for the Dodgers. He has held left-handed batters to a .231/.288/.331 slash line for his career and left-handed batters hit just .248/.274/.292 against him in 2013.
Capuano, 35, has also been linked to the Mariners, Marlins, and White Sox this offseason.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)