Feb 18, 2014, 8:54 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox are engaged in negotiations with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano. Rosenthal says Boston’s front office is looking at Capuano as a potential swingman — somebody who would pitch primarily in relief but could also be available for some spot starts.
Capuano registered a 4.26 ERA and 81/24 K/BB ratio across 105 2/3 innings (20 starts and four relief appearances) last season for the Dodgers. He has held left-handed batters to a .231/.288/.331 slash line for his career and left-handed batters hit just .248/.274/.292 against him in 2013.
Capuano, 35, has also been linked to the Mariners, Marlins, and White Sox this offseason.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)