Feb 18, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Today’s Stephen Drew update: Mike Puma of the New York Post reporting that it’s “clear” that Scott Boras still wants Stephen Drew to get at least $14 million this season. It’s likewise clear that the Mets aren’t going to give him that. Nor is anyone else for that matter.
The qualifying offer/draft pick compensation system is dumb and is hurting the free agent market. But it’s also the setup right now and, within that setup, it looks like Boras and Drew miscalculated. He shoulda taken the $14.1 million and gone back to the Red Sox.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)