Feb 18, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Today’s Stephen Drew update: Mike Puma of the New York Post reporting that it’s “clear” that Scott Boras still wants Stephen Drew to get at least $14 million this season. It’s likewise clear that the Mets aren’t going to give him that. Nor is anyone else for that matter.
The qualifying offer/draft pick compensation system is dumb and is hurting the free agent market. But it’s also the setup right now and, within that setup, it looks like Boras and Drew miscalculated. He shoulda taken the $14.1 million and gone back to the Red Sox.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)