Feb 18, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Today’s Stephen Drew update: Mike Puma of the New York Post reporting that it’s “clear” that Scott Boras still wants Stephen Drew to get at least $14 million this season. It’s likewise clear that the Mets aren’t going to give him that. Nor is anyone else for that matter.
The qualifying offer/draft pick compensation system is dumb and is hurting the free agent market. But it’s also the setup right now and, within that setup, it looks like Boras and Drew miscalculated. He shoulda taken the $14.1 million and gone back to the Red Sox.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)