Feb 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Just more awful fortune for Mat Gamel.
The Braves have released him, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Gamel — who was at one time slated to be the starting first baseman for the Brewers — has had two ACL surgeries and apparently reinjured his knee last week during personal workouts.
Gamel was a top prospect for years, took too long to get it together at the major league level, and since them just hasn’t been able to catch a break. I’d be shocked if we saw him play in the majors again.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)