Feb 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Just more awful fortune for Mat Gamel.
The Braves have released him, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Gamel — who was at one time slated to be the starting first baseman for the Brewers — has had two ACL surgeries and apparently reinjured his knee last week during personal workouts.
Gamel was a top prospect for years, took too long to get it together at the major league level, and since them just hasn’t been able to catch a break. I’d be shocked if we saw him play in the majors again.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 65
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)