The Braves release the snakebitten Mat Gamel

Feb 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

gamel getty Getty Images

Just more awful fortune for Mat Gamel.

The Braves have released him, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Gamel — who was at one time slated to be the starting first baseman for the Brewers — has had two ACL surgeries and apparently reinjured his knee last week during personal workouts.

Gamel was a top prospect for years, took too long to get it together at the major league level, and since them just hasn’t been able to catch a break. I’d be shocked if we saw him play in the majors again.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Sucks. Thought he had a chance to be a pretty decent player.

• 78mu - Feb 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM

You could have a nucleus of a decent team with a healthy Gamel, Mark Mulder and Grady Sizemore.

Key word is healthy.

• brewcrewfan54 - Feb 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I would certainly agree with that.

2. chip56 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I’m not sure that being released by the Brewers constitutes a bad thing. I’m sure he’ll be able to catch on with another team with a minor league contract and invite to spring training and maybe have a chance to restart his career with a team that doesn’t suck.

• chip56 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

My bad – didn’t realize he was with the Braves…I take back all my Brewer bashing.

• boscoesworld - Feb 18, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Sucks to be you!!

• chip56 - Feb 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Nah, I’m pretty happy with where I’m at.

• craigssideburns - Feb 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Its cool…the Braves suck too

• brewcrew87 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Had to create an account so that I could tell you that you suck. Brewers fans all around I’m sure would like to give you a good throat punch for dissing our beloved franchise. Again, in case you may have missed it: please suck a big one and go crew!

• karlkolchak - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

• chip56 - Feb 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

wah wah wah.

3. tuberippin - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:35 PM

We didn’t really ever see him play in the major leagues to begin with (career 106 games played and 269 PAs over five years)…

4. tmohr - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:50 PM

From the headline, I thought for a minute that he’d been hanging out with that recently deceased snake-handling preacher.

• chinahand11 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thank you for the snake handler shout out. In eastern Kentucky, where I grew up, there was a snake-handler church. Never heard of anyone getting bit or dying from their revival experience, though. Some got saved, some just stayed to sing the songs, and some ran for the parking lot as fast as they could.

• gibbyfan - Feb 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Interesting articel–I just cant fathom the level of abject stupidity that would entice someone to subject himself to such an agonizing death……….I only wish that church (name escapes me) that tries to disrupt the funerals of vets would take up the practice.
      This si atough break for the kid –never got to cash in.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM

You’re talking about the Westboro Baptist Church, their crackpot Pastor Phelps and their truly psychotic web site – are you ready for this? – godhatesf*gs.com. If you want to know what ugly looks like in the modern age, check it out. These people are bona fide pinwheels.

• gibbyfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Oh Yes Gator—That be the group alright. I wish I could encourage them to take up the snake handling practice —And, so that they could truly test their faith by using only the most venemous of snakes, I would be willing to make a major financial contribution to pay for African/Australian imports

5. tfbuckfutter - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM

On the plus side he can always reprise his role as Badger on Better Call Saul.

6. chinahand11 - Feb 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I think getting released gives him a good chance. Whoever takes him will want a look at him, anyway. I wish him the best of luck that he does not become another “coulda been.” He’s almost there.

7. coloradothistle - Feb 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I’m not a doctor, but I’d say just from looking at his name he suffers from low t.

8. shaggytoodle - Feb 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM

That’s a shame, I was really hoping he would do well, so I could print shirts with Gameltoe on it.

9. skipperxc - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM

This is all Casey McGehee’s fault.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3279)
  2. J. Kang (3109)
  3. C. McGehee (2824)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2809)
  5. J. Upton (2809)