Feb 18, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
According to LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins remain interested in a reunion with free agent left-handed starter Johan Santana but are one of only several major league teams currently in the running for his services.
“We talked (Monday) and I’ll see,” Twins assistant GM Rob Antony told the Star-Tribune about a chat with Santana’s agent, Peter Greenberg. “I haven’t heard back from him. I expressed where we are at. He said, ‘I’ll talk to Johan and we will get back.'”
Santana sat out the entire 2013 season after undergoing surgery in April for a re-tear of his left shoulder capsule. He has thrown off a mound twice this month as part of his ongoing rehabilitation process and is aiming to be ready for live major league action sometime around late May or early June.
Santana spent the first eight years of his career in Minnesota, posting a sensational 3.22 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 9.5 K/9 in 1,308 2/3 innings. He won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006.
Despite the healthy amount of interest, Santana will likely have to settle for a minor league deal.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)