Feb 18, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
According to LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins remain interested in a reunion with free agent left-handed starter Johan Santana but are one of only several major league teams currently in the running for his services.
“We talked (Monday) and I’ll see,” Twins assistant GM Rob Antony told the Star-Tribune about a chat with Santana’s agent, Peter Greenberg. “I haven’t heard back from him. I expressed where we are at. He said, ‘I’ll talk to Johan and we will get back.'”
Santana sat out the entire 2013 season after undergoing surgery in April for a re-tear of his left shoulder capsule. He has thrown off a mound twice this month as part of his ongoing rehabilitation process and is aiming to be ready for live major league action sometime around late May or early June.
Santana spent the first eight years of his career in Minnesota, posting a sensational 3.22 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 9.5 K/9 in 1,308 2/3 innings. He won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006.
Despite the healthy amount of interest, Santana will likely have to settle for a minor league deal.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)