Bo Porter ripped his team for being disrespectful of Roger Clemens

Feb 19, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Bo Porter AP

Brian McTaggart reports that manager Bo Porter ripped the Astros players today for being disrespectful to Roger Clemens, who was visiting camp to speak to Astros player. The source of the disrespect: not being ready at 9am for the meeting.

Read McTaggart’s post for the details — it seems like guys were lollygagging to get dressed and stuff before their visitor arrived — and also for Porter’s description of the daily 9AM meeting. Which he calls “synergistic chemistry lab.”

Synergistic chemistry lab.

Synergistic. Chemistry. Lab. Really.

1. crimson428 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I really want to like Porter, but stuff like the chemistry lab, texting inspirational messages to his players, the cute slogans on all the t-shirts. Just manage the team, these aren’t a bunch of high school players.

• apkyletexas - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM

“these aren’t a bunch of high school players”

Several high school teams in Houston could probably beat them.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Well, in this case quite a lot of them are barely older than high schoolers.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I disagree Crimson. If I were an Astros fan…I would welcome Porter’s approach.
      The Man is trying to change the culture. To do so takes a completely different approach across the board. Anything short of vodoo, animal sacrifices and seance’s is okay (in my book).

• jayquintana - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Agree. If the old school approach didn’t work, why not try the new school way?

• crimson428 - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Maybe, but to me it seems a little overboard. I am not a major leaguer, so I don’t know, but this kinda stuff would make it hard for me to take him seriously. And if I knew every time we won a game, our manager would blast some awful Drake song in the locker room, I would drop the last 15 games too.

• Bob - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Totally agree. All the motivational slogan and signs in the world won’t keep you from losing 111 games, including the last 15, if you don’t have much talent. And I’m sure 80-90 percent of the guys on that roster know that they won’t be around if and when the decision scientists and all of the other guys with bull(bleep) titles finally scrape together enough talent to have a contending club.

Just sick of all of the bull(bleep) going on with this franchise. I’m fine with the rebuilding, but put a little effort into the big-league club and spare us about how every minor-league club in the system went to the playoffs or came close. Save the stupid job titles, the motivational slogans and all of the other crap. Get the games on TV, get some major-league caliber players and let the front office act like it gives a crap about the major-league product (or lack thereof) that it’s putting out on the field.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:27 PM

No arguments from here, Bob. Let’s cut to the chase and get a major league team that we can watch on television in Houston.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

“it seems like guys were lollygagging to get dressed and stuff before their visitor arrived”

Did he throw bats in the shower and scream “Do you know what that makes you??”

• 18thstreet - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Bunch of lollygaggers.

• 18thstreet - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

WHO GAVE THIS A THUMBS DOWN?!

Go back to Russia, you hippie.

3. kelshannon19 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM

How the hell did we ever win 8 games?
    It’s a miracle.

4. halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Roger Clemens is an expert authority on the “Synergistic chemistry lab”, so I can see how Bo Porter would be angry at his players for showing The Rocket disrespect.

Bo Porter: “Show more respect for the ‘roiders, youngsters!”

• shadowshand - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Well, at least the chemistry part.

5. stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Hey, Porter is no sure thing in my book. They talk him up a lot but to date he hasn’t had a chance to prove much. I’m agnostic on that subject. “Synergistic Chemistry Lab”? Don’t ask me.

But good manners is good manners. You have a guest speaker; you show up on time and act interested. That’s not too much to ask.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Meh, we don’t get much interest for our lunch-and-learns featuring recent retirees either. It’s not like you don’t see them around the halls making use of their privileges anyway. You can question them anytime you see them handy. And they always want to tell you forever stories from their glory days.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I hold my ground based on simple good manners.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Normally, I would too, but that kind of team-building/motivational crap really backfires with me. I become increasingly less interested the more you make me go to talks I don’t want to attend (particularly if it was Clemens). And, really, for a lot of these guys a 9:00am meeting is early. I think it a failure of management to try to force “the way to be” on people instead of putting together something that works for that particular group. That said, I absolutely do believe in holding punks (and others) responsible for things. I just think this is an example of picking your battles poorly.

I really am with you on the manners thing generally, though. I’m always a little horrified if I’m the person with the best manners in a room. Yikes.

• bh192012 - Feb 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I can understand a bit, however anyone who is late for a team chemistry meeting, has basically failed at being part of a team.

Sometimes being part of a team, means doing things you don’t like, pinch hitting, DH’ing, pitching in relief or whatever. I think Bo should keep on those guys who were late. Being late wouldn’t cut it in a ‘real’ job either.

• jeffa43 - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM

You nailed it Stex… Lets see what Porter does when he has more than a AA team to work with in the coming years.

I attend meetings all the time that I am not overly excited for, but you pay your respect and listen.

6. hk62 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Craig – you’re just upset you didn’t think of it first.

7. karlkolchak - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

It’s never a good idea to mess with chemicals if you don’t know what you’re doing, lest you blow up the lab.

8. Rich Stowe - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM

this is up there with Coughlin and the Giants being late for meetings….

it’s more about them being late for the meetings than disrespecting Clemens…

you’re grown men – if you have a meeting at 9, you get there at 9, plain and simple….

we all have meetings we have to attend, we do so because our jobs require it – even stupid ones along the lines of “Synergistic chemistry lab”

we may not like it, but if that’s what the boss wants…that’s what the boss gets….that’s your job as an employee of the team (or any company) – show up when you are required to

9. drbnorce - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Clemens and chemistry lab…..go figure!?

• infieldhit - Feb 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Yes, excellent observation.

10. mikhelb - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM

the whole ‘synergy’ experimentation is what Maddon does and is praised for it…

11. spyder9669 - Feb 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Anybody who has ever been in the same room as Roger Clemens knows how big of a scumbag he really is. I applaud the Astros players.

12. tfbuckfutter - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I don’t see how them being late was any big deal…..Clemens could just jam a bunch of needles up the clock’s ass and turn back time a little bit.

13. billgatesbarber - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Don’t throw away those paper bags just yet Astros fans.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3974)