Feb 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Phillips “refused to speak to the media on the day position players reported to camp” and issued a statement through a team spokesperson saying simply “I’m just here to play.”
In addition to the August squabble with a specific reporter–which took place in then-manager Dusty Baker’s office–Fay notes that Phillips was also upset with the media earlier this offseason when trade rumors were circulating.
Generally the whole “not talking to the media” thing never goes particularly well for the player, although I suppose if Phillips can recover from angrily berating someone in his manager’s office anything is possible.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)