Feb 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Phillips “refused to speak to the media on the day position players reported to camp” and issued a statement through a team spokesperson saying simply “I’m just here to play.”
In addition to the August squabble with a specific reporter–which took place in then-manager Dusty Baker’s office–Fay notes that Phillips was also upset with the media earlier this offseason when trade rumors were circulating.
Generally the whole “not talking to the media” thing never goes particularly well for the player, although I suppose if Phillips can recover from angrily berating someone in his manager’s office anything is possible.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)