Feb 19, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has the story from Cardinals spring training in Jupiter, Florida …
Long after the clubhouse emptied, general manager John Mozeliak and his chief lieutenants, manager Mike Matheny and coaches from both sides of camp attended a workout of Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz, who is expected to sign a major-league contract with a club within days.
The Cardinals are expected to follow up on their longstanding interest in the 23-year-old by extending a formal offer to his agent, Jaime Torres, within the next 24 hours.
The Cardinals signed shortstop Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $53 million free agent contract in November and are set at third base with Matt Carpenter and at second base with Kolten Wong. But the word on Diaz is that his defense needs fine tuning, so the St. Louis front office could be thinking long term with this move.
The Yankees, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, and Giants are also known to have interest in Diaz, who hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 313 plate appearances his final year in Cuba.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)