Feb 19, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has the story from Cardinals spring training in Jupiter, Florida …
Long after the clubhouse emptied, general manager John Mozeliak and his chief lieutenants, manager Mike Matheny and coaches from both sides of camp attended a workout of Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz, who is expected to sign a major-league contract with a club within days.
The Cardinals are expected to follow up on their longstanding interest in the 23-year-old by extending a formal offer to his agent, Jaime Torres, within the next 24 hours.
The Cardinals signed shortstop Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $53 million free agent contract in November and are set at third base with Matt Carpenter and at second base with Kolten Wong. But the word on Diaz is that his defense needs fine tuning, so the St. Louis front office could be thinking long term with this move.
The Yankees, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, and Giants are also known to have interest in Diaz, who hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 313 plate appearances his final year in Cuba.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)