Feb 19, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has the story from Cardinals spring training in Jupiter, Florida …
Long after the clubhouse emptied, general manager John Mozeliak and his chief lieutenants, manager Mike Matheny and coaches from both sides of camp attended a workout of Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz, who is expected to sign a major-league contract with a club within days.
The Cardinals are expected to follow up on their longstanding interest in the 23-year-old by extending a formal offer to his agent, Jaime Torres, within the next 24 hours.
The Cardinals signed shortstop Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $53 million free agent contract in November and are set at third base with Matt Carpenter and at second base with Kolten Wong. But the word on Diaz is that his defense needs fine tuning, so the St. Louis front office could be thinking long term with this move.
The Yankees, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, and Giants are also known to have interest in Diaz, who hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 313 plate appearances his final year in Cuba.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)