Carlos Ruiz has an exemption to allow him to use Adderall in 2014

Feb 19, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Carlos Ruiz AP AP

Carlos Ruiz was suspended for 25 games for using a stimulant at the start of last season. They never said what the substance was he was using, but it’s reported today that he has received an exemption for Adderall — which would otherwise be banned — for the 2014 season.

Makes one wonder why he didn’t get the exemption before. And makes one think again about how much more overrepresented ADHD diagnosis are among baseball players than among the population at large.

1. number42is1 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM

oh man… my ADHD is so bad i could certainly use a prescription for OH A BUTTERFLY!!!

• Joe - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Kudos for not saying “squirrel.”

• moogro - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I watched a squirrel chase another squirrel around and around and up the trunk of a tall tree outside my window this morning and they like stripes on a barber pole. Wait, what were talking about?

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

No hat tip? Where’s the love? :)

It was confusing before why he never got a script for it a while back (the suspension was for being caught a second time), and this make it doubly odd. Also something seems out of place getting busted twice, then having it all declared legal. Sure A-Road would have loved an exemption

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM

It took him awhile to get a doctor with the right treatment plan that worked.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

The instructions could not be more clear – “Talk to your Doctor and find out if Adderall is right for you”

At least I think that is what they said. I stopped paying attention after they said “Talk to you doctor”…..HEY! There’s cookie in the break room!!!

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I am pretty sure the interview would go something like this.

“Do you want Adderall?”

“Yep.”

“Then it is right for you.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

That’s why the right doctor is key.

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM

In my experience with physicians, most are all too happy to give you drugs if they consider the side-effects to be relatively harmless, whether you need the stuff or not….indeed, I am usually on the side of the argument requiring evidence that I NEED whatever the doctor is trying to throw at me….the counter argument is usually, “Hey, this might help, and if it doesn’t, it won’t hurt anything…so let’s try it and see what happens.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Clearly, you don’t have tWtW.

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I guess. I do have the will to not be drugged up for no good reason.

• PhillyPhanAnalysis - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:56 AM

There are numerous stipulations for major leaguers to get it. I know they need multiple doctors all agreeing that the player actually has ADHD to be able to get the exemption. Also, nowadays, with all the biogenesis stuff that happened I’m sure there are a lot of docs playing it safe when it comes to stuff like this and some avoiding it altogether. That could explain some of it, or it could just be that he just doesn’t really need it and he had to find the right docs that would say he did. Either way, he has it now and it certainly can’t hurt the likelihood that he has a good year…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 21, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Agree with all you say – thoguh I am sure he could have found a doctor to prescribe it, and it was just boneheaded not to after being caught once.

And sure, Adderall has a legitimate purpose where as HGH and the like do not. Still….just an odd feel when you use something illegally twice, and then it gets made legal.

Anyway, I hope it helps, but don’t want to jinx things!

3. chacochicken - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Why yes, I’d like my amphetamines legal with a substantial increase in focus while increasing strength and decreasing reaction time.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM

No, no, chicken. I want you clean when I break you.

• chacochicken - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Define “clean”. Washing me just sprays bacteria everywhere.

• historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Dirty feathers, dirty mind.

For your safety, you can’t have anything in your system before I apply the marinade. Don’t worry. This will hurt quite a bit.

4. barthdoesthings - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I thought it was known that Adderall was the substance he was banned for — it was at least widely reported by Phillies beat writers.

• rbj1 - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Did you see what those writers wrote? They deserved to get beaten by the Phillies.

5. halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM

The media reported last year from the get-go that it was Adderall. We knew all along what it was.

Ruiz, like the majority of the other 120+ players using Adderall, are faking it because of the “speed” advantages it gives. There is no doubt about it.

Shane Victorino may be the only legit guy on the list using Adderall. If he isn’t the poster boy for ADHD, I don’t know who is.

• karlkolchak - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Now wait, that’s just plain ridiculous because….oh, hey, did any of you guys catch True Detective on Sunday Night?

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

No. I only watch 16 and Pregnant.

6. yordo - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM

KEEP YOUR DRUGS OUT OF MY PURE SPORT

7. alang3131982 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Yay! Soon there will be people in the Hall of Fame that used legal & illegal PEDs — the catch, they only used Adderall….

8. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Pretty soon, guys will be getting exemptions for weed because they’re having trouble seeing the ball.

9. careyb44 - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM

And in other Phillies news, the whole team has been given an exemption for Metamucil.

• karlkolchak - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I should certainly hope so. That stuff is a life saver.

10. mikhelb - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM

i seem to remember an interview in spanish where Carlos Ruíz said he had a prescription for adderall because it helped him when he felt he needed to focus and have more energy, but failed like Tejada to get it approved by MLB and tested positive in consecutive tests in a short period of time.

11. righthandofjustice - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

What makes MLB smelly so fishy is they have never provided any guideline for granting or refusing an exemption for stimulants and treatment drugs.

According to Miguel Tejeda he got recommendations from several doctors to use a PED. MLB refused his applications after their failed attempt to link him to Biogenesis but no reason or professional comments from any registered doctors was given whatsoever.

The new mystery is whose professional led to the exemption of Ruiz’s exemption? Dr Selig?

• Old Gator - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Doctor? Sir to you, son. I’m People’s Commissioner Selig now, and nobody’s sweethart. Smack!

12. dbiowa - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:03 AM

1in 10 baseball players take Adderall, twice the national average. Legal performance enhancing drugs by any other name. Mocking Baseball’s drugs laws really.

13. ninozlatino - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Sweet!! World Series here we come baby!! Ya’ll just hating cause our team is older than yours!!

14. PhillyPhanAnalysis - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:17 AM

I know from experience that Adderall is definitely a PED if you don’t go overboard. I experimented on the second day of a weekend filled with chopping wood. The second day there was not only a marked improvement in endurance, but I was able to hit the exact same spot on a log multiple times in a row with no problem. That wasn’t nearly as easy the day prior (without taking any).

There is a fine line, though, before it can become detrimental to one’s focus (at least that is what I found). Doing just a little too much can make your eyes move rapidly back and forth, almost twitching like you’re in REM sleep. I’m not sure about any real strength gain, but endurance and focus is vastly improved.

15. Thomas L. - Jul 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM

So it’s okay to increase performance as long it doesn’t make you stronger? I question this whole thing right here and wonder why there is a difference between these PED’s.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline