Kris Medlen shaved his head for charity

Feb 19, 2014, 9:38 AM EST

I dunno. Slow morning, so watch some kid who takes his hair for granted shaving it off in a cavalier manner. Sure, it’s for a cancer charity, but if it doesn’t grow back don’t come crying to me, Medlen. Some of us appreciated what we had back when we had it.

1. yahmule - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Good job, Kris. The Moe Howard you were rocking will grow back.

If you must go bald, the only way to do it is by widow’s peak. You might be able to make that work for you. The slowly expanding circle that become a full hula skirt is a drag. The worst one is when it just comes out in haphazardly and your head winds up looking like a lollipop that got kicked under the sofa.

I noticed a widow’s peak coming on in my late 20’s. I blamed it on the underground nuclear testing in Nevada. I overreacted and shaved my head. I kept it that way for over ten years. Finally, I said screw it and just let it grow out. Now it’s longer than it was when I was 14. Middle of the shoulder blades and still growing. Best response to a mid life crisis since American Beauty.

What trips me out is I still have isolated hairs a good inch or more in front of what constitutes my current hairline. I’m so proud of those brave little soldiers. Everybody around them retreated and they stood vigilant. I treat them very gently now, like artifacts from a forgotten time.

• happytwinsfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM

outstanding mid life crisis adjustment. i was less daring and went with a beard.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM

That was my choice. Was great for about ten years, then the beard went gray. Bald and gray beard is reaaaaallllllly old looking. Now I’m just pretty much your average billiard ball. Fortunately, the wife likes it.

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Simultaneously greying beard and hair, with a thinning effect. To compensate my nostrils and ears have sprouted hair like they’ve decided they are going to cover my lower face and the sides of my head in a coarse bristle fight-to-the-death. Nothing subtle for my hair growth: its like hog-boar bristles suddenly decided to grow out of my nostrils and ears. Some of them are even grey. Great.

2. chacochicken - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

He went from looking like he was wearing a ridiculous wig to inmate # 54 of the Atlanta regional jail.

3. historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Is this for a fundraiser? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t long enough to donate.

BTW, y’all will get my long luscious locks over my dead body. And, I also grew mine out as per midlife crisis.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester