Martin Maldonado is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 19, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT

BSHOL 2

Adam McCalvy knows what time it is. He saw catcher Martin Maldonado walk into Brewers camp and asked the hard questions that needed to be asked:

After only four days off, a noticeably trim Maldonado reported for duty at Maryvale Baseball Park.

“Not that I was overweight last year, but I wanted to come into camp ready,” Maldonado said. “I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life since I signed.”

Twenty-six pounds. Not bad, Martin.

1. halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM

That’s a pretty impressive bicep in that picture. Not as big as mine, but massive nonetheless.

On Maldonaldo losing 26 pounds, that is impressive. Seems like many guys are showing up to Spring Training is great shape (Sandoval, Sabathia, Ryan Howard, etc.). I’m impressed. These guys must be working with Richard Simmons and Sweatin’ to the Oldies or something.

• zzalapski - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM

The chance to add a comma or two to one’s bank account statement motivates many behaviors.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:20 AM

True. But in Ryan Howard’s and CC Sabathia’s case, they have already added that comma or two to their bank accounts with their previous contracts. Both are playing for pride at this point, not $ I would suspect.

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Do you know, that when James Tyree of Tyree Studios made that logo for BSOHL, Craig said it was your bicep(t)? True fact. Here. Click the link and check it out. Its under the third comment string (brewcrewfan54’s)

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Hahaha!!! I never knew that. I need to use that pic for my Twitter avatar. Hahahaha! Thanks for the info, Cur!

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM

You know you’re Someone around here when they name stuff after you.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Yeah. Next they’ll be naming something after dirtyharry1971.

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Probably its going to be a meme named after ‘harry: “To irrationally trash another team and its fans”. For a while I thought that meme was going to be named “bozosforall” but he got his arse banned. Dirtyharry’s at least smart enough to hang around without it coming to that, so I think its going to be a “dirtyharry” instead.

At least your name-logo is cool. I wish that logo was named “cur’sbicept”. Of course it’d need to be darker (and more Canadian).

2. karlkolchak - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

“Not that I was overweight last year…I just got tired of all that extra muscle mass that gave me my power and decided I’d rather be a singles hitter.” [eye roll]

3. yahmule - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM

He cut out the Candy.

4. kevjones75 - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Maldonado is a great catcher

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3501)