Feb 19, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Joe Torre, a member of MLB’s Playing Rules Committee, admitted last week that he and his colleagues were having trouble putting into words the new rule that will ban home-plate collisions. “It’s not finished being written because it’s not easy,” he said.
But it sounds like some progress is being made.
A source told FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal on Wednesday evening that the new rule should be instituted within the next 24 to 48 hours, presumably with the cooperation of the Players’ Association.
For an idea of how the ban on collisions might change the aesthetic of home plate plays read the following excerpt from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who discussed the matter recently with Cardinals manager Mike Matheny:
[Matheny] described for the media how catchers used to set up at the point nearest third base and, once they had the throw, would then move to block the plate. Now, as a third baseman often does, the catchers will set up on the first-base side of the plate and approach it as a tag play where the glove must be able to reach all points of the plate.
Home-plate collisions brought nothing positive to professional baseball. They will not be missed.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)