Feb 19, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
Joe Torre, a member of MLB’s Playing Rules Committee, admitted last week that he and his colleagues were having trouble putting into words the new rule that will ban home-plate collisions. “It’s not finished being written because it’s not easy,” he said.
But it sounds like some progress is being made.
A source told FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal on Wednesday evening that the new rule should be instituted within the next 24 to 48 hours, presumably with the cooperation of the Players’ Association.
For an idea of how the ban on collisions might change the aesthetic of home plate plays read the following excerpt from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who discussed the matter recently with Cardinals manager Mike Matheny:
[Matheny] described for the media how catchers used to set up at the point nearest third base and, once they had the throw, would then move to block the plate. Now, as a third baseman often does, the catchers will set up on the first-base side of the plate and approach it as a tag play where the glove must be able to reach all points of the plate.
Home-plate collisions brought nothing positive to professional baseball. They will not be missed.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)