Ron Washington unveils his planned Rangers lineup

Feb 19, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

ron washington getty Getty Images

Rangers manager Ron Washington already has a lineup and batting order in mind for the regular season and he shared it with reporters today:

LF Shin-Soo Choo
SS Elvis Andrus
1B Prince Fielder
3B Adrian Beltre
RF Alex Rios
DH Mitch Moreland
C Geovany Soto
2B Jurickson Profar
CF Leonys Martin

No big surprises, although Washington continuing to prefer the relatively weak-hitting Andrus in the No. 2 spot remains a questionable choice. Andrus has good speed and decent on-base skills, but he’s definitely not one of the Rangers’ best hitters. Depending on how Profar fares in his first full season it wouldn’t be surprising to see him supplant Andrus near the top of the lineup at some point.

1. stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Well, for the moment Andrus is the better hitter of the two. If Profar steps it up this year (likely), then that might make a lot of sense.

• natstowngreg - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I had the same first reaction as Aaron. Question is, who is the alternative?

Andrus had a .328 OBP last season. Nothing special (and way below Choo’s .423), but abouve the MLB average of .318.

Martin posted a .313 OBP. A guy who can steal second, but isn’t that good stealing first.

Profar’s MLB OBP was .308, but he posted a .370 in 44 games for Round Rock. So I agree, the potential is there. Perhaps, to bat leadoff eventually, with Choo batting second.

The other interesting thing is Fielder playing first over Moreland. As has been speculated here previously, Washington put the inferior defender at first, probably to keep him happy.

• js20011041 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I was ready to slam the decision too. Outside of a productive Profar, he could consider Beltre. .371 OBP last year. His power would take away some of Fielder’s potential production, but getting Beltre another 30 to 40 PAs this year would probably more than offset that. The other plus would be that you wouldn’t see Choo walk to lead off the game, followed by a sac bunt by Andrus. You know it’s coming. Over and over and over again.

2. halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Right after the Rangers acquired Fielder in the trade, I saw an article here on HBT in which Washington told the media immediately in the press conference that Fielder, without question, would be his 3-hole hitter and now before a single Spring Training game is played, he puts out his entire opening day starting lineup. I don’t get this. I’ve never seen any manager make lineup proclamations before the start of the season. Never. Maybe Ron ought to watch some Spring Training games before painting himself into the corner with this lineup. Unbelievable.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

It’s a good thing lineups aren’t written in stone then. They are a fluid, evolving, ever changing beast. Sometimes day to day.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

• asimonetti88 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM

“Apparently with Ron Washington, he doesn’t agree. His lineup has already been announced before playing a single spring training game. Fluid is not in his vocabulary.”

Is there a law that he’s not allowed to change it at a later point?

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Good point. I didn’t think of it when I first replied, but it is a bit premature.

• natstowngreg - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, it’s premature, but I’m not seeing why it’s a problem. Not as though there’s competition for the starting positions. Injuries may cause changes, of course. Right now, the question is about Profar’s pening Day availability.

That’s why the manager doesn’t write out the lineup, in ink, until shortly before the game. Washington has more than a month before he has to do that.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

You all apparently are missing my point. I’m not saying it’s a bad lineup. I’m not saying it’s a good lineup. I’m not saying that he can’t make changes to the lineup. What I simply said was that I have never seen a manager put out his opening day lineup on February 19th. I’m not sure what I said is so difficult to comprehend, based on the thumbs downs and comments above.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

No, I get it. Why even put it out there if you don’t have to? Kind of a pointless effort.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM

I get your point, and as an Angels fan, it doesn’t take a lot for me to criticize Washington. But I don’t see what’s wrong with it. If he wants to change it, he will. If he doesn’t want to change it, he won’t.

3. yordo - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Very impressive, but they need to sign Morales to replace Moreland.

• stex52 - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Don’t know if Morales is the answer. But I feel like Moreland isn’t.

4. historiophiliac - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM

/sobs

5. happytwinsfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

when i saw that he had enough confidence in his shortstop to hit him second i was instantly jealous, but it’s some comfort to hear that might not be the best choice.

6. moogro - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I think he learned putting a weak-hitting, speedy infielder in the 2 hole from the Twins organization. Lots of games lost by taking the bat out of the hands of your best hitters at 3 and 4 by having them bat all the time with 2 outs or watching the game end from the on-deck circle in the ninth.

• happytwinsfan - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM

we’ve learned since washington was with us. this year we’re going to have our weak hitting speedy infielder battle our new weak hitting catcher for the number ten spot in the order.

7. Francisco (FC) - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Unveals? Is like a combination of Reveal and Unveil? So it’s a multiplier effect?

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Corrected already? Dang man, at least acknowledge me, now my comment looks stupid. I don’t have an edit function like you do!

8. markofapro - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Scratch the 2nd baseman. He won’t be there when the season starts.

9. kingjoe1 - Feb 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM

That is one scary lineup.

10. richardneighbors3 - Feb 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM

He didn’t actually say this was his order. He just talked about Soto/ arencibia, Moreland, profar and Martin batting at the bottom of the order. Basically saying they need to produce. You can read a more detailed article on his words on mlb at bat. So everyone saying its dumb to pick a lineup this early is correct. But in this instance nbc sports did a terrible job of writing a story.

11. tcb2nyc - Feb 19, 2014 at 11:32 PM

The thing that sticks out to me is something no one has mentioned yet. Why in the hell would you put Geovanny Soto batting 7th, as opposed to 9th? He’s clearly your worst hitter with no upside (like a Profar or Martin.) Put him in the 9 hole and get some extra ABs for the guys who can actually do something wiht the stick.

• richardneighbors3 - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I somewhat agree with your arguement. But, why would you want your worst hitter at the bottom of the order? I like the idea of having two speedsters at the bottom for a possibility to be on base when Choo steps up. I know it kind of dimishes my arguement, but Soto did hit the ball very well the second half of the season when he started getting regular playing time. Let’s not forget he is a former rookie of the year, and handled the bat well in the early part of his career with Chicago.

• tcb2nyc - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM

“Why would you want your worst hitter at the bottom of the order?”

Is that a serious question? For the same reason that all pitchers in the NL hit 9th. They get fewer at-bats. I do understand having speed at the bottom of the line-up, but not by giving at-bats to a far inferior hitters. Makes no sense.

12. rgledz - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM

After revealing the lineup, Ron yelled “I want some crack!”

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2804)