Feb 19, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
The new ballpark dance is going on in Southern California. I’m guessing no new park is going to be built, but they gotta dance anyway.
- The Angels and Arte Moreno gotta act like they’ll move to Tustin, California (or someplace else) during their opt-out window of 2016-19 if Anaheim doesn’t cut them a break on ballpark improvements and development of nearby land;
- Anaheim has to act like they’ll let the Angels leave with no skin off their nose if they don’t like what they’re being offered;
- Tustin has to act like they won’t give anything of value to the Angels to entice them to move.
All that is happening now, according to the Los Angeles Times. Except of course Moreno probably doesn’t really want to move to Tustin. And Anaheim probably really doesn’t want them to move either. And Tustin probably would give them something of value to come. And everyone’s mind on the matter would change if someone else offered them huge incentives, be they political or financial, to change their minds.
Same old tired story. Eventually someone is going to give the Angels a gift in the form of land or tax breaks because that always happens. And as they do it, they’ll shout increasingly loudly about how it’s not really a handout.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)