Feb 19, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
The new ballpark dance is going on in Southern California. I’m guessing no new park is going to be built, but they gotta dance anyway.
- The Angels and Arte Moreno gotta act like they’ll move to Tustin, California (or someplace else) during their opt-out window of 2016-19 if Anaheim doesn’t cut them a break on ballpark improvements and development of nearby land;
- Anaheim has to act like they’ll let the Angels leave with no skin off their nose if they don’t like what they’re being offered;
- Tustin has to act like they won’t give anything of value to the Angels to entice them to move.
All that is happening now, according to the Los Angeles Times. Except of course Moreno probably doesn’t really want to move to Tustin. And Anaheim probably really doesn’t want them to move either. And Tustin probably would give them something of value to come. And everyone’s mind on the matter would change if someone else offered them huge incentives, be they political or financial, to change their minds.
Same old tired story. Eventually someone is going to give the Angels a gift in the form of land or tax breaks because that always happens. And as they do it, they’ll shout increasingly loudly about how it’s not really a handout.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39