Feb 19, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
A fantastic road trip story from former major league journeyman pitcher John D’Acquisto. He tells of the twelve hours before reporting to spring training for the Giants in 1976. He, John Montefusco and Randy Moffitt in a Porche, racing to make it from Foster City, California to Phoenix in time to report to camp.
I picked up Moffitt at his place. Randy’s wife came out to see us off. I threw his bag in the trunk and handed him the keys for the long journey. With our history of aggressive driving, the willingness to air out these badass sports cars, and hell, just the general testosterone of dudes under 25, all the wives thought we were out of our minds to drive to Arizona. Count and Ed had followed us to Moff’s house as we mapped out the race. Moff and I shared a quick laugh watching the six-foot-seven Halicki trying to pack himself into Count’s Porsche.
“How’s that big son of a bitch gonna get himself in,” Moff laughed, scratching his head as he opened the driver’s side door to my car.
Along the way there is fast driving. There is silliness. There is also a pretty deep contemplation of how quickly youth is lost and how uncertain even the most seemingly cocksure young jocks can be.
(link via BTF)
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27