Ubaldo Jimenez passed his physical

Feb 19, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

orioles logo

That’s not usually big news but this is the Orioles after all, so it’s probably worth passing along. That makes his contract official. Four-years, $50 million. He’ll probably be frolicking in Sarasota tomorrow.

I feel like Jimenez is a total coin toss of a signing. I don’t like his chances to be worth his contract, but he could do just about anything from win the Cy Young to injure himself tying his shoes based on his past history and people would have to say “yeah, he had it in him.”

1. Caught Looking - Feb 19, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I believe it’s Orioles, not the Orioles

So said Alfredo Aceves

2. kcroyal - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

He’ll only have to average somewhere around 2.1 WAR per season to earn his contract. If he’s slightly better than average over the next four years it’s a good deal for the O’s.

• mmeyer3387 - Feb 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM

It going to be interesting to see how Jimenez plays for the O’s. He clearly has upside. However, he has a history of being inconsistent. Yet, as he seems like a roll of the dice, he was good last year and his second half of the season was well above average. Only time will tell how he turns out.

3. dlgdc - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I can’t remember him ever being injured or on the DL He starts 30+ games per year so I don’t get where the comment that he could “injure himself tying his shoes being part of his history” comes from?

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

It is about time that someone passed the dreaded Baltimore physical. I wonder if any more players will decide to sign on late with the Orioles now that this logjam has been broken.

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I hadn’t considered that deal done till this post of the pass on the physical. This signing worries me. The O’s have a very good chance at having got a lot better with this move. Mind you, its Ubaldo and he’s mental, so WTF. I wish Our Boys had acquired a pitcher. A good one, I mean. Not Santana and not Ubaldo. Maybe Burnett, but I had been hoping for Tanaka. Anyhow, never the wishing. The early word out of camp is that Drabek looks extremely good. Throwing hard with a loose, pain free delivery. I hope that stands up to live play.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Agreed.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Jayson Stark of ESPN says that sources indicate that the Jays are unlikely to sign Ervin.

• cur'68 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Thank Dog. Ervin would get pwned at Skydome.

• randomdigits - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Yoon passed it a couple of days ago.

So now we have Colvin, who probably does still have back issues since no one else is willing to give him a MLB contract and Balfour who the Rays’ will be paying 2.5 million this season.

Maybe the O’s medical staff were right?

5. karlkolchak - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

After today, I’m starting to think the whole Orioles-physical thing might be a tad overdone. The truth was they needed an excuse to back out on signing Balfour when they took one look at his stupid oversized truck and realized their ST facility’s parking lot wouldn’t be able to accommodate it.

6. nymets4ever - Feb 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Uuh…injuries haven’t been his problem, inconsistency has.

7. largebill - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Jiminez passes physical – Indians FO breathes sigh of relief. Didn’t want to count on the extra draft pick before their chickens were hatched.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The Indians seemed to be happy that he is gone.

8. stercuilus65 - Feb 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I heard he is in “the best shape of his life” !

9. yordo - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM

And now he’ll forget how to pitch again after getting paid.

1. M. Morse (2244)