Feb 20, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Alan, dude. You’re my childhood idol. I wore number 3 when I played little league and Babe Ruth baseball because I adored you. And I have been outraged to the point of insanity that, since you have retired, neither the Tigers nor the BBWAA has given you your due. Your number 3 should be retired. You should be in the Hall of Fame. It’s as simple as that.
So, when you say magnanimous, seemingly reasonable and charitable things about how you’re cool with Ian Kinsler wearing your number, you really blow a hole in all of that outrage I’ve been working up. It’s like fighting your way to Jerusalem in a Holy Crusade, only to have God Himself yell down “No, it’s all good. No need to take the Holy City for Christendom.”
Please get with the program. Say some intemperate things about how Ian Kinsler isn’t fit to carry your jock. And while you’re at it, get on Jose Iglesias for wearing Lou Whitaker’s number 1 too. For Pete’s sake, this is unbelievable.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)