Feb 20, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Alan, dude. You’re my childhood idol. I wore number 3 when I played little league and Babe Ruth baseball because I adored you. And I have been outraged to the point of insanity that, since you have retired, neither the Tigers nor the BBWAA has given you your due. Your number 3 should be retired. You should be in the Hall of Fame. It’s as simple as that.
So, when you say magnanimous, seemingly reasonable and charitable things about how you’re cool with Ian Kinsler wearing your number, you really blow a hole in all of that outrage I’ve been working up. It’s like fighting your way to Jerusalem in a Holy Crusade, only to have God Himself yell down “No, it’s all good. No need to take the Holy City for Christendom.”
Please get with the program. Say some intemperate things about how Ian Kinsler isn’t fit to carry your jock. And while you’re at it, get on Jose Iglesias for wearing Lou Whitaker’s number 1 too. For Pete’s sake, this is unbelievable.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)