Bryce Harper is a bit tired of hearing about running into that wall

Feb 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Bryce Harper famously ran into that wall in Dodger Stadium last year, which ended up sidetracking his whole season. Tom Boswell has a feature on Harper today, in which Harper acknowledges that one can play hard yet still play smart. And that, no, he does not plan to be known for running into walls like that.

Oh, and he’s a bit tired of everyone mentioning the wall thing:

“Shoot, every single day I went into therapy, somebody said, ‘Hey, don’t run into a wall,’ ” Harper said. “And, yeah, dummy, you don’t walk across the street when there’s cars coming.”

I love the use of “dummy.” Who says “dummy” anymore? That’s fantastic.

1. karlkolchak - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:08 AM

He should start ironically using Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)” as his walk up music. That would be awesome.

• fleaman1381 - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Using “Another Brick in the Wall” would probably make him my favorite player.

• butchhuskey - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He don’t need no education, he don’t need no thought control…

• thedoubleentandres - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

“We don’t need no education”

Ahh yes you do, you’ve just used a double negative

• pinkfloydprism - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I think AC/DC’s Balls to the Wall is a little more appropriate :)

• thedoubleentandres - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

That was Accept :)

• natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Funny thing is, for all the times I’ve heard Bryce’s walkup music at Nats Park, I don’t remember it. Guess he needs different songs. [Since many--if not most--hitters have a song for each plate appearance.]

Though most walk-up music isn’t memorable. Unlike, unfortunately, Michaerl Morse’s use of A-Ha’s “Take on Me.” Morse left, but the Nats use it during the 7th-inning stretch. Complete with lyrics on the scoreboard. Ugh.

• infieldhit - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It’ll be gone.

In a day or TWOOOOO.

• thedoubleentandres - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

@infieldhit

Well played sir
        U made me spit coffee all over my desk

• chacochicken - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

After 5+ beers that song is great. That and Werth walking up to Werewolves of London.

• natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

The Werth song with the repeated “woo!” (then yelled by the crowd) is another of the few I remember. Also, for the wrong reason.

Wish A-Ha would be gone in a day or two. I’m afraid that, after experimenting with a number of songs (including “Sweet Caroline” for a time), the Nats think they have their 7th-inning stretch song. So it’s liable to remain, like “Natitude.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

What about:

2. chacochicken - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Mormons say dummy. They say lots of folksy expletives like “shoot”, “darn”, and “heck”.
    Kolob love’em.

• cardinalcrazy - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I heard some of them even use the word “clown”.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Was Fred Sanford a Mormon?

• chacochicken - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

No, Red Foxx just wasn’t allowed to use the language he wanted on network TV. Needless to say Lamont would’ve been called a lot worse than a big dummy.

• vivabear - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

• 18thstreet - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Liz Lemon.

• vivabear - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Dennis Duffy….Mazel Tov Dummies

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I am blogging this under the heading:

“Bryce Harper just guaranteed he will hear about the wall non-stop in Philly”

• natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Indeed. I can also see a wall-related promotion at Dodger Stadium.

*ponders Nats Park taunts for Phillies, involving possums*

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Possum was too obscure….just have to use age, or wait for something organic to happen

4. sfm073 - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Dummy is the most insulting word there is.

5. natstowngreg - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Old farts like me might say “dummy.” Young whippersnappers like Craig just say “dude,” which has very little meaning, as it applies generically to almost half the human population.

• Jeremy T - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Whereas “dummy” seems to apply to a number approaching 90%, if pop culture and politics are any indication

6. NoobTubeTV - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Personally, I think he actually represents himself as a decent athletic role model for the youth these days.

I am I Harper fan these days.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate