Feb 20, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
Great, long story from Warren Corbett at The Hardball Times today about the waning days of the Philadelphia Athletics.
Connie Mack was in his 90s and his race was all but run. His kids were feuding. The team was hemorrhaging money and no one could figure out what to do. As the Macks tried to hold on to the team — or sell it, depending on which Mack you asked — the other American League owners all had their own agendas on what should happen to the A’s. Some wanted them to stay in Philly. Some wanted them to move to Kansas City. Some wanted them to move to Los Angeles before the National League moved west. Meanwhile Bill Veeck, who had just been drummed out of ownership in St. Louis, was literally hanging around outside the board room trying to get involved.
Just a fascinating look at how the Lords of Baseball dealt with one of the AL’s charter franchises in 1954. How they got to Kansas City and, eventually, Oakland. And how the machinations which are keeping the A’s out of San Jose — or anywhere else — today seem like child’s play compared to the plight of the Philadelphia Athletics.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)