John Rocker knows exactly what’s wrong with New York City

Feb 20, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT

John Rocker

If you had to name someone who has trenchant insight into the issues facing New York City, you’d be hard-pressed to find someone more adept and knowledgable than John Rocker.

After all, he’s the one who once totally captured EXACTLY what New York was like when he said the city was “depressing,” that “the biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners” and that the subways were “like you’re [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids.”

So clearly, any change from that status quo he witnessed in 1999 has to be better, right? Well, wrong. He has a column about the new administration running New York today over at that whack-job website he writes for:

source:

I assume he now thinks of the 7 train to Shea Stadium like it was some sort of paradise.

1. nyyankeefanforever - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

“Off his rocker” never made sense to me until he came along. What a dipstick.

• ptfu - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Yep. Even now, his pitches are way, way out of the zone.

2. kcroyal - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I’m a liberal, but to a degree, I think everybody should be free. But if you think I’d let John Rocker move in next door and marry my daughter you must think I’m crazy. I wouldn’t let him do it for all the farms in Cuba.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Sorry, couldn’t hear you. I was out protesting the movie “Exodus”

• kcroyal - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Craig, you’re almost as American as George Lincoln Rockwell.

• pipkin42 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

He’s a weird monkey, very funky.

• shutdownespn - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Methinks kcroyal would have more thumbs down if people knew that G. L. Rockwell was the founder of the American Nazi Party.

• pipkin42 - Feb 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Methinks he would have more thumbs-up if people realized he has been quoting Bob Dylan this whole time.

Or maybe not.

3. chill1184 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I hate conservatives and I hate liberals but their both statists. While de Blasio is no way in hell a fan the actual free market, Rocker doesn’t seem to be either. If he actually believed in voluntary exchange he wouldn’t use the government gun on who businesses hire. Then again conservatism was never about free market even going back to their statist demi-god Ronald Regan. The great Austrian economist Murray Rothbard destroys the conservative myth that Regan was about freedom.

The whole “immigration” debate is basically one set of central planners conservatives vs another set of central planners. While the free market voice (libertarians) are ignored.

• largebill - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We may or may not be “statists” as you claim, but we are definitely spelling/grammar nazi’s and are irritated by your misuse of “their” when you meant “they’re.” Basically invalidates your entire rant.

• buggieowens - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Apostrophes do not make nouns plural, except in very rare instances (such as for single letter acronyms that are pluralized). The plural of Nazi is Nazis, not Nazi’s.

• wiscotom - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Ha, damn. You beat me to it, Buggie!

• buggieowens - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Thanks WT, and thanks for not making fun of my use of “such as for.”

• zemongoose - Feb 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM

As long as there are people with enough power and/or money to influence outcomes, the concept of a “Free Market” is less plausible than the tooth fairy.

4. thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:08 AM

De Blasio is a complete idiot. As are the morons that voted him in.

• karlkolchak - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Not as big a moron as you are, as shown by your stupid blanket generalizations.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I know NYC residents love them some socialists. Bless their hearts!

• cohnjusack - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I know NYC residents love them some socialists. Bless their hearts!

Sigh. Why does no one actually know what a socialist is?

• karlkolchak - Feb 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM

@cohnjusack – yep, idiots wouldn’t know a Socialist if Eugene Debs was standing right in front of them.

• genericcommenter - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Just wondering. If the choice is between a fascist and a socialist- who wins? (I’m not really saying either major party candidate is seriously one of those, but typically the opponent of the alleged “socialist” might as well be labelled a “fascist” if the same criteria are applied).

• cohnjusack - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Ahh, the kind of thoughtful political discourse I’ve come to expect from the HBT comments.

5. chacochicken - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Let me guess, John has a degree in political science, right?

6. jcmeyer10 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Man, I scrolled through that sire after the whole Google blocking ads to their site after using the phrase “black mobs” in an article title.

That site is depressing.

7. thedoubleentandres - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

A kid with purple hair ?!!???

The horror

• sportsdrenched - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Purple is a liturgical color, and many Christians color their hair purple during Lent & on Sundays during Advent. But don’t tell Rocker that, you’ll ruin his narrative.

• lazlosother - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

It’s also the color of a very subversive teletubby. I think that’s where John is on this one.

8. doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Ah John Rocker. One of my finer patients.

Notice I didn’t say successes.

9. deathmonkey41 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I like turtles.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Me too. I have a big leucistic snapping turtle named “The Judge” we’ve kept for over 20 years, a couple of albino red-ears, a bunch of spotted turtles, four hybrid Brazilian sliders/Florida yellow bellied turtles, several Asian wood turtles, a couple of Central American wood turtles, a pair of red-footed tortoises, four Australian snake-necked turtles and a couple of Japanese pond turtles. Also have a small Florida softshell we netted while fishing for tilapia in one of the local canals.

And of course there’s Friendo, my little pygmy rattlesnake. But he diverged from the turtles so many millions of years ago that they don’t even talk to each other anymore.

10. sdelmonte - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Not long after Rocker’s original 7-train comments, my wife and I and a group of friends were on said train. Somehow (as we often do) we starting singing and someone started in on Tom Lehrer’s “National Brotherhood Week.” At one friend protested, “you can’t sing that on the 7-train!”

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Someone needs to update that song. No one knows who Sheriff Clark is anymore.

• sdelmonte - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM

That is true of half his catalog.

11. onbucky96 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I had no idea Rocker now works for Fox News.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM

He doesn’t

12. gothapotamus90210 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I welcome Rocker’s comments in the spirit of J.S. Mill:

“Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.”

Although riding the 7 probably does not qualify as due study and preparation.

• byjiminy - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

and we’re still waiting for the evidence of thinking

13. sandwiches4ever - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM

There hasn’t yet been invented a pole long enough that I would touch WND with.

14. shanabartels - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I love how Rocker’s article includes some variation of the phrase “most people agree with me on this” at least four or five times. Dude, if most people agreed with you, how could de Blasio have won the election handily like he did? But okay, let’s choose to ignore the facts. That’s what Rocker does best.

15. American of African Descent - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

The greatest moment in professional sports in the last fifteen years was when John Rocker got mooned in Los Angeles.

The man’s got a serious case of diarrhea of the mouth.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM

That’s not diarrhea. That’s a direct leakage of what his cerebral cortex has deliquesced into, and gravity does the rest.

16. jwbiii - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

John Rocker always makes me think of Manitoba.

17. normcash - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM

You know for sure Rocker didn’t write this himself. The sentiments may be his, but the writing isn’t. You can tell because it’s good English. Like most people of his ilk, he is ignorant of history. He gets misty-eyed at the thought of those generations of immigrants who “earned” their right to live in the
    greatest country in the world. How did they do that? Well, they simply got on a boat in Europe and sailed over…or walked across the border from Canada or (dare I say it?) Mexico. But they did it when the doors to immigration were wide open. Then Congress, fearful that the country’s Anglo-Saxon “stock” (always amuses me that xenophobes think in terms of animal husbandry) was being diluted by all those southern and eastern European types, slammed the door shut. All those claiming to oppose illegal immigration on the grounds of the rule of law and demanding that would-be immigrants “get in line” forget that, for THEIR forebears, there was no line. As for his claim that Obama isn’t enforcing the law, his administration has deported many more people than the Bush administration ever did even though illegal immigration slowed to a trickle during the Great Recession.

• bigharold - Feb 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

You know for sure Rocker didn’t write this himself.”

How can you tell?? Aside from the fact it wasn’t in crayon and if John Rocker EVER had a thought, .. it died of loneliness.

The only thing this goofball needs it a swasticker tatoo on his neck and s shaved head.

18. musketmaniac - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM

that’s a lot of terrapins, gator. John is as repetitive as his name rocker. Never anything really new, just back and forth rambling about the same hate.

19. Joe Vecchio - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I realize that Mets fans had every reason to hate Rocker when he came up, but I thought Shea having “D Battery Day” was kinda going over the line

20. sportsfan18 - Feb 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Liberals are ruining this once great country of ours…

Three legends off to Cooperstown