Feb 20, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
After missing most of last season with a pair of procedures to repair a herniated disk in his back, Rangers left-hander Matt Harrison continues to have some bad luck on the health front.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Harrison is dealing with stiffness in his lower back and will return to Texas to be examined by a specialist. The southpaw was scratched from throwing live batting practice Tuesday due to stiffness in his neck, but it has now moved down to the general area where he had surgery last year, though on the opposite side. That’s still cause for concern, so the Rangers will have him undergo an MRI and get checked out.
The Rangers will already be without Derek Holland until midseason following knee surgery, so losing Harrison for the start of the season would be a tough blow. As of now, Yu Darvish, Martin Perez, and Alexi Ogando are considered locks for the rotation while Colby Lewis, Tommy Hanson, Robbie Ross, and Nick Tepesch would be in the mix for the final two spots if Harrison isn’t ready to go.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)