Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Matt Capps missed most of last season with a shoulder injury that required surgery and now the right-hander’s attempt to make the Indians out of spring training has been stalled by more shoulder problems.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Capps will be shut down for at least two weeks with a strained rotator cuff.
Capps has plenty of closing experience in Pittsburgh, Washington, and Minnesota, but he’s never really been a closer-caliber pitcher and was already facing some long odds to crack the Indians’ bullpen. He re-signed on a minor-league deal back in November.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)