Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Matt Capps missed most of last season with a shoulder injury that required surgery and now the right-hander’s attempt to make the Indians out of spring training has been stalled by more shoulder problems.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Capps will be shut down for at least two weeks with a strained rotator cuff.
Capps has plenty of closing experience in Pittsburgh, Washington, and Minnesota, but he’s never really been a closer-caliber pitcher and was already facing some long odds to crack the Indians’ bullpen. He re-signed on a minor-league deal back in November.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)