Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Matt Capps missed most of last season with a shoulder injury that required surgery and now the right-hander’s attempt to make the Indians out of spring training has been stalled by more shoulder problems.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Capps will be shut down for at least two weeks with a strained rotator cuff.
Capps has plenty of closing experience in Pittsburgh, Washington, and Minnesota, but he’s never really been a closer-caliber pitcher and was already facing some long odds to crack the Indians’ bullpen. He re-signed on a minor-league deal back in November.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)