Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Matt Capps missed most of last season with a shoulder injury that required surgery and now the right-hander’s attempt to make the Indians out of spring training has been stalled by more shoulder problems.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Capps will be shut down for at least two weeks with a strained rotator cuff.
Capps has plenty of closing experience in Pittsburgh, Washington, and Minnesota, but he’s never really been a closer-caliber pitcher and was already facing some long odds to crack the Indians’ bullpen. He re-signed on a minor-league deal back in November.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)