Feb 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Matt Capps missed most of last season with a shoulder injury that required surgery and now the right-hander’s attempt to make the Indians out of spring training has been stalled by more shoulder problems.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Capps will be shut down for at least two weeks with a strained rotator cuff.
Capps has plenty of closing experience in Pittsburgh, Washington, and Minnesota, but he’s never really been a closer-caliber pitcher and was already facing some long odds to crack the Indians’ bullpen. He re-signed on a minor-league deal back in November.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)