Feb 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
It was reported in January that NESN had reassigned sideline reporter Jenny Dell when it was revealed that she was in a romantic relationship with Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks. Now that reassignment has become a full-blown parting of ways:
Red Sox chairman Tom Werner, who oversees all of NESN’s on-air operations, acknowledged Thursday morning that Dell has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of the sports cable franchise after she and Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks acknowledged on New Year’s Eve that they were in a relationship.
I think it’s fun that that a reporter having a relationship with a player is a conflict of interest but the team’s chairman controlling the content of the network is not, but I guess that’s not worth exploring too deeply, huh?
In any event, I expect Dell will land someplace comfortable soon. She’s seen as a rising star. Places like Fox and ESPN have baseball programming out the wazoo and a need of faces to put on the screen around and during it. She won’t be out of a job for long.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)