Feb 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
It was reported in January that NESN had reassigned sideline reporter Jenny Dell when it was revealed that she was in a romantic relationship with Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks. Now that reassignment has become a full-blown parting of ways:
Red Sox chairman Tom Werner, who oversees all of NESN’s on-air operations, acknowledged Thursday morning that Dell has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of the sports cable franchise after she and Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks acknowledged on New Year’s Eve that they were in a relationship.
I think it’s fun that that a reporter having a relationship with a player is a conflict of interest but the team’s chairman controlling the content of the network is not, but I guess that’s not worth exploring too deeply, huh?
In any event, I expect Dell will land someplace comfortable soon. She’s seen as a rising star. Places like Fox and ESPN have baseball programming out the wazoo and a need of faces to put on the screen around and during it. She won’t be out of a job for long.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 2
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 40
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)