Feb 20, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Rangers selected Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson from the Rockies in the minor league phase of December’s Rule 5 Draft. While we’re not looking at the next two-sport superstar here, Wilson confirmed via his Twitter account today that he will make an appearance at Rangers spring training:
Wilson’s agent, Mark Rodgers, told FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi after the Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory that that his client has “no plans to actively participate” in camp with Texas, so don’t expect him to do much of anything. Chances are he’ll simply chat with the team’s minor leaguers and take some pictures.
Wilson was a fourth-round pick of the Rockies in 2010 and batted .229/.354/.356 in 379 plate appearances over two seasons in the minors. He gave up baseball in 2012 in order to prepare for the NFL Draft. That decision has worked out pretty well for him.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (79)
- Barry Bonds is back in uniform (68)