Russell Wilson confirms he’ll make appearance at Rangers camp

Feb 20, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT

The Rangers selected Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson from the Rockies in the minor league phase of December’s Rule 5 Draft. While we’re not looking at the next two-sport superstar here, Wilson confirmed via his Twitter account today that he will make an appearance at Rangers spring training:

Wilson’s agent, Mark Rodgers, told FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi after the Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory that that his client has “no plans to actively participate” in camp with Texas, so don’t expect him to do much of anything. Chances are he’ll simply chat with the team’s minor leaguers and take some pictures.

Wilson was a fourth-round pick of the Rockies in 2010 and batted .229/.354/.356 in 379 plate appearances over two seasons in the minors. He gave up baseball in 2012 in order to prepare for the NFL Draft. That decision has worked out pretty well for him.

1. ggallin4evr - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM

He put his bat in my dugout.

2. sportsnut101 - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM

how wack hes not a hall of famer to do pictures and autographs

3. nymets4ever - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Why?

• louderthanwords1 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Why not?

4. mkd - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM

It’d be nice if a Seattle guy putting on the jersey of a division rival caused a stink back home, but I’m not even sure Seattle remembers they still have a baseball team. Sigh.

5. miketreedy - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Rather see him be wearing a Cowboys jersey. Of course, with Jerry Jones running the show they would still be 8-8.

6. kyleshabram - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM

This just (again) proves that football is easier than baseball. Dude can’t crack an MLB 40 man roster, but he can win a Super Bowl MVP!?!?

• jm91rs - Feb 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Or maybe each sport requires it’s own unique skill set and Wilson has a little more of the football skill set than baseball?

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM

He didn’t win Super Bowl MVP, Malcolm Smith did.

7. thedoubleentandres - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Or that he’s much better at football than baseball

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Football is dying

9. sfm073 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I’m trying to figure out what the point of this is? He seems like a pretty decent guy, but is this just a ego trip thing?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I am Russell Wilson…I am going as well. Of course…baseball is my first love. Baseball is somehting that I could watch all day long. Baseball is something I would play every day if given the chance. So yeah…I am going and I am going to take infield and BP.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2781)