Feb 20, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
This is fun. Video from MLB Productions of the 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers at spring training. Mostly Leo Durocher jawing at his third baseman during fungo drills. He refers to the guy as “Nick.” Could be a nickname, but there was no third baseman named Nick on the ’45 Dodgers. Or the ’44 Dodgers for that matter. My guess: a tomato can wartime fill-in who didn’t make the club.
Also: note the bare trees in the outfield. This isn’t Florida. It’s Bear Mountain, New York. In 1945 wartime travel restrictions were still on, so teams trained near home. Now imagine catching a ball or hitting in March weather in the Hudson Valley.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)