Feb 20, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
This is fun. Video from MLB Productions of the 1945 Brooklyn Dodgers at spring training. Mostly Leo Durocher jawing at his third baseman during fungo drills. He refers to the guy as “Nick.” Could be a nickname, but there was no third baseman named Nick on the ’45 Dodgers. Or the ’44 Dodgers for that matter. My guess: a tomato can wartime fill-in who didn’t make the club.
Also: note the bare trees in the outfield. This isn’t Florida. It’s Bear Mountain, New York. In 1945 wartime travel restrictions were still on, so teams trained near home. Now imagine catching a ball or hitting in March weather in the Hudson Valley.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)