David Ortiz and the Red Sox are talking about a contract extension

Feb 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

A couple of weeks ago Dan Shaughnessy said this about David Ortiz‘s desire for a contract extension:

source:

I guess the Red Sox feel differently about it because John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the team and David Ortiz have opened discussions regarding a contract extension.

Ortiz will make $15 million in this final year of his current deal. He went on record last month saying that he wanted an extension for 2015 at a similar rate. Tomase suggests that the Red Sox are willing to do that and may even add a vesting option for 2016.

1. chacochicken - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

When will the defenestration of Shaughnessy occur? Why has it taken so long?

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I deal with him the same way I deal with bears. I try to ignore him and hope he goes away.

• number42is1 - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I would like to buy your rock!

• lphboston - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Shaughnessy is the only Boston writer with the courage to deal with Ortiz, and the only one with the courage to remind people that Ortiz’s name was on the drug report. He is far and away the best journalist in New England.

As far as Ortiz goes, if the Red Sox give him an extension, it will be for one reason only — to shut him up. If he keeps playing on two-year deals, eventually that second year will be dead money.
      Ortiz saw the way Pedro Martinez pouted and got what he wanted, and he noticed when Curt Schilling got $8 million from the team as a golden parachute.
      He wants his, but there is no reason to pay him. No one else would give him any more than one year.

2. El Bravo - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Is David Ortiz underrated? Discuss.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Nope. Edgar Martinez is underrated. Ortiz is overrated.

• pensmightierthanswords - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM

No question, he is one of the toughest outs in all of baseball. Ortiz in conjunction with Pedroia–who arguably is the toughest out in MLB–creates a headache for any opposing pitching staff attempting to retire their lineup. That said, huge fan of D.P’s overall work and game ethic, not so much a fan of Ortiz’s approach. Ortiz believes the sport owes him something in addition to his 8 figure salary.

• kruegere - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM

You ever take a look at Pedroia’s road stats?

• sandwiches4ever - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:05 PM

If we only had a way to determine who had the lowest percentage of outs made to settle that argument. We could call it Not Out Percentage or something.

• Alex K - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I think he’s pretty properly rated. People agree that he is a great hitter.

3. thedoubleentandres - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Awesome, apparently Ortiz sat down next to Shaugnessy at a press conference on wednesday and went full Corleone on him. Told him “Good to have my friends close and my enemy even closer.”

4. willclarkgameface - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’m SO frigging tired of listening to David Ortiz bitch about his contract and I absolutely hate to see the Red Sox just cave like this. Why do they need to do that? Are the ticket sales hurting that much that they need a side story of Ortiz getting an extension so people will buy tickets? They just won the World Series.

I say wait the 2014 season out and see what your 43 year old slugger can do.

• wendell7 - Feb 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Yeah, who needs a guy who bats .700 in the post season

5. slaugin - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I don’t think what he’s asking or is outrageous but the way he goes about it is tiring.

6. redsoxchamp11 - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Those comments earlier this week were targeted squarely at this clown of a columist and they are full justified IMO. Shaughnessy has had it out for Ortiz for a long time and its ridiculous. It seems his only motive is dividing the Sox clubhouse with bogus report. What an asshat.

• slaugin - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

you’re missing 1 other guy…Tony Mazz

• petey1999 - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yes. All this BS never happens without CHB.

7. jaturso - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I’m not even a Red Sox fan, and would love it if Oritz left the Sox after this season, and when asked why, said, “Because of people like Dan Shaughnessy. All I did was lead this team to three (THREE!) World Championships after almost a century of futility, and I have idiots like him questioning me? Red Sox Nation, I love you, but I can’t stay in the same city where people put any stock in what this moron writes. I’m out.”

• evanhartford - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I know we’re all tempted to credit the offensive players for “carrying” or “leading” their teams to championships. But they’ve had some failry prolific pitchers during their championship years.

IMO, keeping Papi would be more of a business move than a baseball move.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM

True, but how many of those pitchers (seemingly) batted over 1.000 in a WS?

• bigharold - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:55 PM

“ed Sox Nation, I love you, but I can’t stay in the same city …”

Where’s he going to go where “idiots” won’t ask him questions or perhaps write something he doesn’t like? It comes with the territory.

And, someday when he can’t get around on a fast ball and they tell him to go away he’ll miss that part too.

8. jollyjoker2 - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

15 million is chump change in todays market…Get him signed. Boston won’t see a world series for another 30 years if they don’t

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline