Alfonso Soriano may retire after this year

Feb 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EST

Yankees' Soriano points as he crosses home plate in the fifth inning of their MLB American League baseball game the Angels in New York Reuters

Alfonso Soriano, who is still playing under that massive contract the Cubs gave him, says this year could be it:

Alfonso Soriano could join Derek Jeter in retirement following the end of the upcoming baseball season.

“It depends on how I feel,’’ Soriano said when asked by The Post if he wants to continue playing. “If I am healthy I will play [in 2015]. If not, I will let it go. It depends how I feel.’’

He’s not quite Jeter, obviously. His farewell tour will feature him getting gifts sort of like the ones you give your younger kid on your older kid’s birthday so the younger one doesn’t feel left out. A small game or a puzzle, perhaps. Maybe a little Lego set.

1. therealgrande - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Soriano proved he has some good baseball left in him. Probably about 2 more years so he’s going out at the right time. He will be a HUGE part if the Yankees want to win a championship in these next 2 years before he leaves.

• bigharold - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM

“He will be a HUGE part if the Yankees want to win a championship..”

He will have to be a huge part. Personally, I hope he is because thy will need the right handed power with A-Rod sitting out. My concern is that he doesn’t have a lot of plate discipline, .. I remember him swinging at a lot balls in the dirt his first time wit the Yankees.

• karlkolchak - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Yep…just like the Cubs are gleefully counting up all those World Series titles they won during Soriano’s six year tenure in Chicago…oh wait.

• Reflex - Feb 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM

If Soriano gets even 500AB’s it will indicate that the Yankees offense has completely failed. Soriano has averaged 0.8 WAR per season since 2008. Aside from two productive months at the end of last season he has not been worth his starters job, to say nothing of his salary, since 2007. He has not had a single full season above a 2.0 WAR, which is the average production for a major league starter.

If he’s your big bet, then you either haven’t been paying attention, or do not know how to measure productivity. The real hope for the Yanks is if they get 2012 Carlos Beltran (4.3 bWAR) instead of 2013 Beltran (2.4 bWAR). If that happens, and both Ellsbury and Gardner are healthy/productive, that will be one hell of an outfield. No idea if even that will be enough to make up for the Yanks completely shooting themselves in the face with their infield though. They should have re-signed Cano and fought to keep A-Rod active. The team would be pretty fearsome offensively if they had…

• tchillen - Feb 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Soriano’s bWAR in the last two years: 2.3, 2.4
        fWAR: 2.9, 3.6

While I agree with your overall point that the Yankees should hope they don’t have to rely on him, your numbers are just off. If he can play like he has the last two years, he’ll be a valuable member of the team.

• genericcommenter - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM

It’s not like he’s Ichiro.

• Reflex - Feb 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM

tchillen –

You are looking at his oWAR which is not relative to his position. Look at his straight WAR on Baseball-Reference, which is what I have stated. In 2012 he had a 2.0 bWAR, and in 2013 he had a 2.4 bWAR the vast majority of which came in two months with the Yankees. I was wrong that he hasn’t had a full season above 2, I forgot that 2013 was two teams and saw the lower numbers. As a full time DH, that number will look even worse due to a higher level of average offensive output at that position. But that does not change the overall point: Soriano has not been an above average regular in seven years, with the exception of two months last season.

genericcommentater –

Honestly we saw this happen with Griffey in Seattle. He came back for half a season, had a good few months, and rather than go out on top everyone clamored for the M’s to bring him back, and they did. He was predictably bad. And honestly if at mid-season the Yanks traded Ichiro to the M’s and he had a great final two months, it wouldn’t change the fact that he hasn’t been a useful regular in two years and won’t be next year either. Even thought he fans would think he was the second coming of himself and beg for them to give him another contract.

2. musketmaniac - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Yankees will win the rights to overpay lesser talent from overseas, that’s the only winning coming out if ny

3. 78mu - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Jim Hendry wants to sign him to a 5 year 100 million extension.

4. 18thstreet - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Doooooom!*

I mean, earlier today I was singing this guy’s praises. Always plays 150 games. Always slugs wells. He’s underrated because he’s so overpaid, but he’s still a good player. But that quote? It says to me: I’m hurt. Maybe the time at DH will rejuvenate him. But that does not sound like good news for a rather key piece in that lineup.

* I may be overreacting. But I doubt it.

• bigharold - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM

He could merely be acknowledging that he just turned 38 and he’s made an obscene amount of money playing baseball. And, rather then going around looking for a roster spot, and taking a pay cut on the order of 75%, he’d rather pack it in.

If he has a good year he’ll likely be back but he sounds like he knows he won’t be playing baseball at 40.

5. jrob23 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM

when all is said and done, he may end up in the HOF, or at least in the discussion. He was the best hitting 2B for a handful of years, was a 30-30 guy a few times and 40-40 once. If he can play a couple more years he will surely be just the 4th 400HR 300SB guy in all of baseball history. Not bad considering his late start to his career. There are worse players in the HOF. He and Beltran are such borderline candidates. I look forward to the discussion on the merits of each in several years.

• 18thstreet - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Carlos Beltran is a much, much better player than Alfonzo Soriano. That there are worse players in the Hall of Fame is no argument in Soriano’s favor. You should measure him (and everyone else) against the best players who AREN’T in the Hall of Fame.

Here: Beltran vs. Soriano, using fWAR

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but it should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

Source: FanGraphsCarlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano

• jrob23 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I agree, I really like Beltran and think he is a lock to get in but because of the era he played in there might be debate..is my point. Soriano measures up pretty well, as his numbers suggest..but to me..he wasn’t a HOF. But for his fanboys, a case can be made. If he had stayed at 2B his case is stronger. If he could field even adequately he is a shoo in

• Reflex - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Um, its not even close. There is no discussion. Soriano over his career has 28.5 bWAR, while Beltran has 67.5 bWAR. Beltran has been more than twice as valuable to teams over his career as Soriano has been. Despite that, Beltran is considered borderline (average HOF CF has 70.5 bWAR, Beltran may not get there).

Soriano belongs in the “Hall of Good ballplayers” but he should not even sniff the HOF. My guess is Soriano is off the ballot in the first or second year of eligibility, while Beltran is likely to be a debate candidate for a decade or so before we see which direction his candidacy goes.

• largebill - Feb 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I believe in a fairly big inclusive HoF, so I hope both get strong consideration. Looking at HOF voting patterns, I don’t think either gets in without adding some to their counting numbers. I hope they have a good season or two left.

• jrob23 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

LOL at the douches downvoting

• jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

You mad, bro?

6. bgm9876 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I hope he does great the last year(s) he has left. he hit a few home runs last year he will hit more this year. Way more.

7. number42is1 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

8. bostonboresme - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Didn’t we already know this? Yawn.

9. chip56 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Sori’s a good guy (by all accounts) but he’s old, not an awful outfielder but not particularly good out there either and fairly one dimensional at the plate (though that dimension is RH power which is never a bad thing to have).

Unless he’s willing to take a significant pay cut and accept a role as a DH I think he’s going to be Johnny Damoned out of baseball whether he wants to be or not.

10. lamattina17 - Feb 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and work at LEGO. I think a small LEGO set would be a great parting gift!

11. genericcommenter - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:23 PM

He was pretty good back when he was 25 but said he was 21. Now that he’s 34 going on 40, it’s not surprising that he might retire.

12. nymets4ever - Feb 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Annoying player. It’s pretty funny how he turned down a trade to the Giants because San Francisco is “too cold,” and then missed out on their championship run. Haha

• jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That’s the typical east coast LOSER’s idea of San Francisco, but it’s not a bad thing because there’s way to many east coast assholes out here, already.

13. campcouch - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM

OBP,WAR,HBP,WPI,GWBP…I’ve forgotten when a ball player was a ball player and all I ever saw was his average,homers and RBIs…oh and if he used Big League Chew!

14. sawxalicious - Feb 23, 2014 at 4:06 AM

I think two major events in Soriano’s career keep him from the Hall of Fame: being traded from the Yankees and changing positions from second base to outfield.

Had he stayed with the Yankees, he gets a lot more post-season time and championship opportunities, along with generally being surrounded by a stronger lineup. Additionally,he gets a lot more press (I do believe it is the press who has the votes for the HOF)

Had he stayed at second base, his numbers would look phenomenal compared to other second basemen. Over 400 HR’s, over 300 SB’s, etc. I know WAR is not kind to Soriano, but it is my understanding of WAR that players that provide superior offense at a traditionally defense-focused position grade more highly. Makes sense to me. Soriano’s production as an outfielder? A little better than average. As a middle infielder? Exceptional. My humble opinion…Soriano tops out at 27% after few years.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester