Feb 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, Carlos Quentin is one of the game’s scariest right-handed hitters. Problem is, over the last two seasons, Quentin has been bothered by a right knee injury, limiting him to a total of 168 games out of a possible 324. Quentin had surgery in October 2012, but it bothered him during spring training and throughout the first half of the 2013 season until he was finally shelved for the remainder of the season at the end of July. He had surgery again in early September to remove loose bodies in his knee.
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Quentin was so demoralized that, at one point, he considered retiring:
Quentin acknowledged Wednesday that he was “blowing smoke up everyone’s (backsides)” when he said he was healthy last spring. His lack of enthusiasm then was noticeable. His eagerness now is even more so.
He said there was a point in 2013 he thought he might have to retire, “because I can’t produce and do well, so I shouldn’t be out here.” Now, at 31 years old, he’s talking about playing more than ever.
Quentin, 31, has an .866 OPS in 660 plate appearances since being traded from the White Sox to the Padres during the off-season prior to the 2012 season. The Padres will pay him $9.5 million this season and $8 million in 2015. If either the Padres nor Quentin wants to pick up his $10 million mutual option for 2016, the outfielder can become a free agent.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 27
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 100
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 37
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (117)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)