Feb 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, Carlos Quentin is one of the game’s scariest right-handed hitters. Problem is, over the last two seasons, Quentin has been bothered by a right knee injury, limiting him to a total of 168 games out of a possible 324. Quentin had surgery in October 2012, but it bothered him during spring training and throughout the first half of the 2013 season until he was finally shelved for the remainder of the season at the end of July. He had surgery again in early September to remove loose bodies in his knee.
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Quentin was so demoralized that, at one point, he considered retiring:
Quentin acknowledged Wednesday that he was “blowing smoke up everyone’s (backsides)” when he said he was healthy last spring. His lack of enthusiasm then was noticeable. His eagerness now is even more so.
He said there was a point in 2013 he thought he might have to retire, “because I can’t produce and do well, so I shouldn’t be out here.” Now, at 31 years old, he’s talking about playing more than ever.
Quentin, 31, has an .866 OPS in 660 plate appearances since being traded from the White Sox to the Padres during the off-season prior to the 2012 season. The Padres will pay him $9.5 million this season and $8 million in 2015. If either the Padres nor Quentin wants to pick up his $10 million mutual option for 2016, the outfielder can become a free agent.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)