Feb 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, Carlos Quentin is one of the game’s scariest right-handed hitters. Problem is, over the last two seasons, Quentin has been bothered by a right knee injury, limiting him to a total of 168 games out of a possible 324. Quentin had surgery in October 2012, but it bothered him during spring training and throughout the first half of the 2013 season until he was finally shelved for the remainder of the season at the end of July. He had surgery again in early September to remove loose bodies in his knee.
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Quentin was so demoralized that, at one point, he considered retiring:
Quentin acknowledged Wednesday that he was “blowing smoke up everyone’s (backsides)” when he said he was healthy last spring. His lack of enthusiasm then was noticeable. His eagerness now is even more so.
He said there was a point in 2013 he thought he might have to retire, “because I can’t produce and do well, so I shouldn’t be out here.” Now, at 31 years old, he’s talking about playing more than ever.
Quentin, 31, has an .866 OPS in 660 plate appearances since being traded from the White Sox to the Padres during the off-season prior to the 2012 season. The Padres will pay him $9.5 million this season and $8 million in 2015. If either the Padres nor Quentin wants to pick up his $10 million mutual option for 2016, the outfielder can become a free agent.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 30
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 85
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)