Feb 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, Carlos Quentin is one of the game’s scariest right-handed hitters. Problem is, over the last two seasons, Quentin has been bothered by a right knee injury, limiting him to a total of 168 games out of a possible 324. Quentin had surgery in October 2012, but it bothered him during spring training and throughout the first half of the 2013 season until he was finally shelved for the remainder of the season at the end of July. He had surgery again in early September to remove loose bodies in his knee.
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Quentin was so demoralized that, at one point, he considered retiring:
Quentin acknowledged Wednesday that he was “blowing smoke up everyone’s (backsides)” when he said he was healthy last spring. His lack of enthusiasm then was noticeable. His eagerness now is even more so.
He said there was a point in 2013 he thought he might have to retire, “because I can’t produce and do well, so I shouldn’t be out here.” Now, at 31 years old, he’s talking about playing more than ever.
Quentin, 31, has an .866 OPS in 660 plate appearances since being traded from the White Sox to the Padres during the off-season prior to the 2012 season. The Padres will pay him $9.5 million this season and $8 million in 2015. If either the Padres nor Quentin wants to pick up his $10 million mutual option for 2016, the outfielder can become a free agent.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)