Feb 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
In the two minute-long video, Votto talks about how many Reds fans have the wrong idea about him. He attributes this to his workmanlike demeanor and to a “skewed perspective” from writers, which has caused Reds fans to view him as aloof and uncaring. Votto says he wants fans to get to know him better.
Votto has also been a lightning rod in the debate between fans of newer stats and fans of older stats. Back in June, Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman slammed Votto for not having many RBI — he had 37 at the time, on a pace for 80 over a full season. In a radio interview at the end of October, Votto dismissed the judgment directed at him based on RBI, explaining that his number one job is to get on base whether it’s with a hit or with a walk, seemingly aligning himself more with the new school way of thinking.
Love him or hate him, Votto is a very perceptive and introspective person, and we need more players like him in sports these days.
By the way, you can support Votto’s charity by visiting VottoFoundation.org, which helps those suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)