Feb 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
In the two minute-long video, Votto talks about how many Reds fans have the wrong idea about him. He attributes this to his workmanlike demeanor and to a “skewed perspective” from writers, which has caused Reds fans to view him as aloof and uncaring. Votto says he wants fans to get to know him better.
Votto has also been a lightning rod in the debate between fans of newer stats and fans of older stats. Back in June, Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman slammed Votto for not having many RBI — he had 37 at the time, on a pace for 80 over a full season. In a radio interview at the end of October, Votto dismissed the judgment directed at him based on RBI, explaining that his number one job is to get on base whether it’s with a hit or with a walk, seemingly aligning himself more with the new school way of thinking.
Love him or hate him, Votto is a very perceptive and introspective person, and we need more players like him in sports these days.
By the way, you can support Votto’s charity by visiting VottoFoundation.org, which helps those suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)