Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
His John Cleese impression appears to be spot on, but Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, who the Phillies signed to a $12 million contract last summer, is not impressing anyone in Clearwater.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the report, from Ryne Sandberg’s less-than-enthusiastic comments about Gonzalez’s bullpen sessions to others’ observations about Gonzalez’s stuff and control.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro told reporters last fall that scouts viewed Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. Salisbury’s report suggests he is unlikely to even make the rotation.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)