Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
His John Cleese impression appears to be spot on, but Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, who the Phillies signed to a $12 million contract last summer, is not impressing anyone in Clearwater.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the report, from Ryne Sandberg’s less-than-enthusiastic comments about Gonzalez’s bullpen sessions to others’ observations about Gonzalez’s stuff and control.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro told reporters last fall that scouts viewed Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. Salisbury’s report suggests he is unlikely to even make the rotation.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)