Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
His John Cleese impression appears to be spot on, but Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, who the Phillies signed to a $12 million contract last summer, is not impressing anyone in Clearwater.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the report, from Ryne Sandberg’s less-than-enthusiastic comments about Gonzalez’s bullpen sessions to others’ observations about Gonzalez’s stuff and control.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro told reporters last fall that scouts viewed Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. Salisbury’s report suggests he is unlikely to even make the rotation.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)