Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
His John Cleese impression appears to be spot on, but Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, who the Phillies signed to a $12 million contract last summer, is not impressing anyone in Clearwater.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the report, from Ryne Sandberg’s less-than-enthusiastic comments about Gonzalez’s bullpen sessions to others’ observations about Gonzalez’s stuff and control.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro told reporters last fall that scouts viewed Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. Salisbury’s report suggests he is unlikely to even make the rotation.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)