Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
His John Cleese impression appears to be spot on, but Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, who the Phillies signed to a $12 million contract last summer, is not impressing anyone in Clearwater.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the report, from Ryne Sandberg’s less-than-enthusiastic comments about Gonzalez’s bullpen sessions to others’ observations about Gonzalez’s stuff and control.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro told reporters last fall that scouts viewed Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. Salisbury’s report suggests he is unlikely to even make the rotation.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)