Feb 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Like a college student cramming before a big exam, the Orioles are desperately trying to put together a competitive roster before spring training exhibition games begin. We learned earlier that the O’s were showing interest in Ervin Santana even after having signed Ubaldo Jimenez, and that they were “intensifying their interest” in DH Kendrys Morales.
You can add another name to the list. According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Orioles have been talking to Nelson Cruz in their search for a hitter. Heyman writes that the Orioles “seem likely” to land either Cruz or Morales. They don’t have to worry about giving up their #17 pick anymore, as they already relinquished it having signed Jimenez. Now, they would have to give up their second round pick, 55th overall, per Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun.
Cruz served a 50-game suspension starting in early August last season for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. Cruz also has health concerns, having played in no more than 128 games from 2009-11. Additionally, he is 33 years old, which along with his associated draft pick compensation, made it tough for teams to justify handing him the big contract he was hoping to find earlier in the off-season.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)