Feb 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Baltimore was linked to Ervin Santana before signing Ubaldo Jimenez to a four-year, $50 million deal and now Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Orioles are still interesting in added Santana too.
Because they’ve already parted with their first-round draft pick to sign Jimenez the Orioles would only need to give up a second-round pick for Santana. Their second-rounder is 54th overall.
By adding Santana along with Jimenez the Orioles could also address their closer situation by potentially shifting Bud Norris to the bullpen. Right now Tommy Hunter is considered the favorite to replace Jim Johnson in the ninth-inning role. Norris is a career-long starter, but he has a 4.36 ERA and there was actually some talk of the Orioles moving him to the bullpen back in December before they’d even added any rotation help.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)