Feb 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Baltimore was linked to Ervin Santana before signing Ubaldo Jimenez to a four-year, $50 million deal and now Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Orioles are still interesting in added Santana too.
Because they’ve already parted with their first-round draft pick to sign Jimenez the Orioles would only need to give up a second-round pick for Santana. Their second-rounder is 54th overall.
By adding Santana along with Jimenez the Orioles could also address their closer situation by potentially shifting Bud Norris to the bullpen. Right now Tommy Hunter is considered the favorite to replace Jim Johnson in the ninth-inning role. Norris is a career-long starter, but he has a 4.36 ERA and there was actually some talk of the Orioles moving him to the bullpen back in December before they’d even added any rotation help.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)