Feb 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Baltimore was linked to Ervin Santana before signing Ubaldo Jimenez to a four-year, $50 million deal and now Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Orioles are still interesting in added Santana too.
Because they’ve already parted with their first-round draft pick to sign Jimenez the Orioles would only need to give up a second-round pick for Santana. Their second-rounder is 54th overall.
By adding Santana along with Jimenez the Orioles could also address their closer situation by potentially shifting Bud Norris to the bullpen. Right now Tommy Hunter is considered the favorite to replace Jim Johnson in the ninth-inning role. Norris is a career-long starter, but he has a 4.36 ERA and there was actually some talk of the Orioles moving him to the bullpen back in December before they’d even added any rotation help.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)