Feb 22, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Interesting news out of Giants camp today, as Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that baseball’s all-time home run king Barry Bonds is scheduled to work for the team in March as a special instructor for hitters. This will be the first time that the seven-time National League MVP has been connected to the club in any official capacity since his final season in the majors in 2007.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed that Bonds will be helping out during spring training and isn’t worried about the controversial slugger being a distraction in camp:
“He’s part of what we’ll do here,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s going to be part of the group of instructors, like (Will) Clark, (J.T.) Snow or (Jeff) Kent. He’s going to be like the other guys and help where he can.
“I don’t have any concerns.”
Can you imagine getting the opportunity to pick Bonds’ brain about hitting? Putting aside the issue of PEDs and whatever your feelings might be on that matter, he has a lot of knowledge to offer and the Giants are smart to utilize him in any way they can.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)