Barry Bonds will be a guest instructor with the Giants during spring training

Feb 22, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Barry Bonds AP AP

Interesting news out of Giants camp today, as Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that baseball’s all-time home run king Barry Bonds is scheduled to work for the team in March as a special instructor for hitters. This will be the first time that the seven-time National League MVP has been connected to the club in any official capacity since his final season in the majors in 2007.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed that Bonds will be helping out during spring training and isn’t worried about the controversial slugger being a distraction in camp:

“He’s part of what we’ll do here,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s going to be part of the group of instructors, like (Will) Clark, (J.T.) Snow or (Jeff) Kent. He’s going to be like the other guys and help where he can.

“I don’t have any concerns.”

Can you imagine getting the opportunity to pick Bonds’ brain about hitting? Putting aside the issue of PEDs and whatever your feelings might be on that matter, he has a lot of knowledge to offer and the Giants are smart to utilize him in any way they can.

1. ireportyoudecide - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Glad to see the 7 time MVP and all time HR king back in the game!

• barrybondsisthealltimehomerunking - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I approve of this comment.

• mmeyer3387 - Feb 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Putting aside the PED argument, he’s the greatest hitter that I’ve ever seen during my lifetime. Don’t forget that he had a great eye for the strike zone and how to read a pitcher. Regardless of anyone’s view of Bonds, he is a wealth of information for any of today’s players. Who else other than Bonds would be a better person for players to gather such a vast degree of knowledge from?

• stercuilus65 - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Glad to see the all time roid king back in the game!

2. markjames23 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Very knowledgeable, sure. But still a cheater.

3. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I am sure he will give tips on how to gain 75 pounds of muscle in a year.. Biggest cheater ever.

• cohnjusack - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I understand the “cheater” label, but you lost me on how he is more of a cheater than any other player who used PEDs during that time.

• stercuilus65 - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM

He paid for the best steroids money could buy sack and reaped the increased benefits.

• cohnjusack - Feb 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Ahhh, I see. He used better steroids. Other players weren’t as good because they knew cheating was bad so only took mediocre steroids. This makes perfect sense.

• stercuilus65 - Feb 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Truth hurts doesn’t it sack?

• stercuilus65 - Feb 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I mean really sack you think are steroids are equal? You know how that flies in the face of medical knowledge? I know you have your head buried up Barry but at least try to acknowledge basic science in your litany of denials and excuse making…

4. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM

As a pirates fan, too bad he wasn’t juicing in 92 or he could of thrown out world class speedster Sid bream at home. And maybe hit .200 in playoffs

• cohnjusack - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Yeah, he sure was a burden on those 92 Pirates. With his meager 204 OPS+. 39 Steals and Gold Glove. Man…what a useless turd he was. No wonder you’re still bitter.

I would probably be more inclined to blame Stan Belinda, or Doug Drabek who gave up a combined 3 runs in the 9th.

Also, Bonds his .261 that series, and had the 2nd highest OPS of any player with at least 15 ABs.

But yeah, totally his fault.

• shyts7 - Feb 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM

If Bonds would of just listened to Van Slyke, he would of been where the ball was hit and thrown out Bream.

5. pearl7777777 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM

You’re kidding!!! This egomaniacal, dopester is being allowed back into the clubhouse?!? Boy, the Giants are either desperate or off their rocker!!! What a mistake; a really poor decision to bring this doping thug back. I feel sorry for the players who will have to put up with him. : (

• irishmanknowsall - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM

yet, Bowie banned Willie for being a casino greeter. Times have changed. Not sure why this guy would be welcome much of anywhere. But, McGwire is employed too. Pete must be going nutz.

• darman55 - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Uh the dude, knows the game. Have you considered that He’s always been part of the Giants’ family and that maybe he’s decided to try and give back something. I’m not gonna defend the guy for much stuff, because he was a grade A a$$hole, but it’s been nearly seven years, and maybe he’s decided a little goodwill towards the game is what he needs.

6. sportsfan18 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

No rookie! If I’m sticking you in your right ass cheek, all your weight needs to be on your left foot!

What’s happened around here since I’ve been gone! Ya’ll don’t even know how to stand for a roid shot.

Have you no shame?

Next shot will be in your left ass cheek OK rook? Remember that will you?

7. racksie - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I wonder what his approach will be? The proper application of the cream and best way to inject your self with PEDs. Or how best to beat drug testing. Or maybe, how to be pathological in you denials of obvious PED use. Or how to best alienate yourself from the entire clubhouse. Maybe it will be a four part lesson plan?

• sportsfan18 - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM

He’ll need to be there more than one week for all of that…

• Matt S - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Amazing how people think any discussion of Bonds begins and ends with PEDs, as if there was nothing else – at all – to his career.

• racksie - Mar 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

There was plenty more to his career. Of course, it’s because he was a juicer……..

8. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

So horrible bad acne, feet growing, gaining 75 pounds of muscle… Head growing … Just side effects of working out hard… Barry bonds…. 100 percent juicer . Fraud and disgrace of a human being. Way to go giants… Just the influence young players need !!!!

9. chinahand11 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Barry has a large head.

10. mybrunoblog - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Gee, what Bonds is coaching? The early Barry Bonds who was a 5 tool superstar on his way to Cooperstown? Or do we see the PED using, woman beating, most disliked man in the clubhouse by both teammates and media Bonds?
    Which Barry shows up?

11. nymets4ever - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM

They won two World Championships shortly after this surly lying cheater and his dark steroid cloud of doom left the team…what could he possibly have to offer these guys?

• Kevin S. - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Yes, Barry Bonds was clearly the reason that Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum weren’t born, drafted and developed years earlier. Also, Barry Bonds is the reason they couldn’t win when coming oh-so-close in 2002.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

what could he possibly have to offer these guys?

No idea what the best, or second best hitter, in the history of baseball could offer…

12. jburk003 - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Baseball is a better game with Barry in it. Hopefully the giants can pick some knowledge up from the HR king.

13. yahmule - Feb 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

This thread is going about as expected.

• billybawl - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM

There you go, always running to the defense of steroid users. Let me explain in 1,000 words why steroids destroyed the game and the Hall of Fame is dead to me….

• yahmule - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I actually have so much love for Babe Ruth that I took Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and the rest of those guys pretty personally, but what’s done is done. I hold Selig way more responsible for the steroid era than I do any player, even Canseco.

14. unclemosesgreen - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Win-win, good for him, good for the team. Mark McGwire has been coaching since 2010 and Earth didn’t get struck by a sun-smothering asteroid or anything. MLB continued to thrive. I think it’s going to be o.k.

• ptfu - Feb 22, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Nah, the Baseball Gods will ward off the sun-smothering asteroids until the Cubs are an out away from winning the World Series.

15. billybawl - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM

First thing I thought is that they better keep Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds on separate fields. They’re not BFFs.

• bigdicktater - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM

As I recall, Jeff Kent never backed down in those shouting matches they engaged in when they were teammates, right? Barry has apparently lost all that muscle, he might get what he deserves if he crosses Jeff now.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

By “what he deserves” I presume you mean a long overdue apology from Kent coupled with an extensive and profoundly introspective mea culpa over the way Kent was bullying David Bell that day.

That’s what you meant, right?

• blabidibla - Feb 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Kent isn’t with the Giants in any capacity as far as I can see.

16. zinger99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

“OK guys listen up! The needle goes in riiiiiight about here……”

• jimeejohnson - Feb 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Zing.

17. mrrooch - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM

He’s still the best option they have in LF right NOW. Seriously, the guy can still hit I’m sure. What would you rather have, a Michael Morse/Gregor Blaco platoon? Or Bonds? Sign him. Would be fascinating.

• yahmule - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Clearly typed by someone who isn’t in their late 40’s.

18. clevelandschronic2 - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Good for bonds. Who give a Fk if he juiced(wheres the failed tests) you can guarantee that there is plenty of people that juiced or did something illegal that’ve already been elected HOFers!!! so lets not act like he would be the first or last. Baseball is better with Barry Bonds in it!!

• stercuilus65 - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM

“If” ?????? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

19. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

And Cleveland never wins anything. Ever

20. zinger99 - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

All Time Home Run Kings
    All Time – Hank Aaron
    Season – Roger Maris

• cohnjusack - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Factually inaccurate on both counts.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Roger Maris played more games than Babe Ruth, clearly Babe Ruth is still the single season home run king.

21. willclarkgameface - Feb 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Get the size 9 SF hat ready for the home run king.

Such an unceremonious end to an otherwise (pre 98) brilliant career. Doesn’t he realize that he should probably just go away? I know it plays into the whole “I didn’t do anything and if I did I didn’t know what the cream or the clear were because I just don’t check things i put on or in my body regardless of the fact that I use my body in a very physical way to make millions of dollars and if i hurt myself that would impact me greatly in a negative way” thing.

EFF this guy.

• darman55 - Feb 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I believe they already have that hat available. Bruce Bochy wears it.

22. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Well your probably 20 so not that u would know. Drabek pitched amazing. Jose kind error killed us. As for Belinda watch the berry hill at bat. Randy marsh screwed us on that at bat. Cost us a trip to World Series. Wow… .261…. Tore it up check 1990 and 91 since u obviously have nothing better to do. Bonds was great before he became the incredible steroid hulk

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Me flunk English, that’s unpossible.

23. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Jose Lind. Not kind. But his error was not kind to us pirates fans

24. timmons94 - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

1990 .167
    1991 .148
    Maybe the reason he became addicted to steroids. 1 hr in 68 at bats for Pittsburgh. Clutch…

25. keltictim - Feb 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The guy is a scum bag and a cheater. However he did have the second best swing I’ve seen in my lifetime. Another cheater owning the best swing, manny rameriz. Two guys with such un real talent but still cheated. I’ll never understand it.

All the trade deadline news to know