Feb 22, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Interesting news out of Giants camp today, as Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that baseball’s all-time home run king Barry Bonds is scheduled to work for the team in March as a special instructor for hitters. This will be the first time that the seven-time National League MVP has been connected to the club in any official capacity since his final season in the majors in 2007.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed that Bonds will be helping out during spring training and isn’t worried about the controversial slugger being a distraction in camp:
“He’s part of what we’ll do here,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s going to be part of the group of instructors, like (Will) Clark, (J.T.) Snow or (Jeff) Kent. He’s going to be like the other guys and help where he can.
“I don’t have any concerns.”
Can you imagine getting the opportunity to pick Bonds’ brain about hitting? Putting aside the issue of PEDs and whatever your feelings might be on that matter, he has a lot of knowledge to offer and the Giants are smart to utilize him in any way they can.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)