Feb 22, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Interesting news out of Giants camp today, as Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that baseball’s all-time home run king Barry Bonds is scheduled to work for the team in March as a special instructor for hitters. This will be the first time that the seven-time National League MVP has been connected to the club in any official capacity since his final season in the majors in 2007.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed that Bonds will be helping out during spring training and isn’t worried about the controversial slugger being a distraction in camp:
“He’s part of what we’ll do here,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s going to be part of the group of instructors, like (Will) Clark, (J.T.) Snow or (Jeff) Kent. He’s going to be like the other guys and help where he can.
“I don’t have any concerns.”
Can you imagine getting the opportunity to pick Bonds’ brain about hitting? Putting aside the issue of PEDs and whatever your feelings might be on that matter, he has a lot of knowledge to offer and the Giants are smart to utilize him in any way they can.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (141)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)