Feb 22, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Bad news for the Padres this afternoon, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that third baseman Chase Headley has suffered a right calf strain. Headley is using crutches as a precaution and believes that the injury will cost him a couple of weeks, but Jeff Sanders of UT-San Diego writes that more should be known following an MRI, which will likely take place on Monday.
This is the second straight year that Headley has suffered an injury during spring training, as he fractured the tip of his left thumb last March and didn’t make his season debut until April 17. The 29-year-old ended up hitting .250/.347/.400 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI over 141 games and required arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in October. He’s hoping to bounce back in his walk year, but his health isn’t doing him any favors.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)