Feb 22, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Bad news for the Padres this afternoon, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that third baseman Chase Headley has suffered a right calf strain. Headley is using crutches as a precaution and believes that the injury will cost him a couple of weeks, but Jeff Sanders of UT-San Diego writes that more should be known following an MRI, which will likely take place on Monday.
This is the second straight year that Headley has suffered an injury during spring training, as he fractured the tip of his left thumb last March and didn’t make his season debut until April 17. The 29-year-old ended up hitting .250/.347/.400 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI over 141 games and required arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in October. He’s hoping to bounce back in his walk year, but his health isn’t doing him any favors.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (115)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)