Feb 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
As D.J. Short wrote earlier, free agent starter Ervin Santana is drawing interest from several teams including the Orioles and Rangers. But as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports, the right-hander says he would rather sit out until June — draft pick compensation disappears after the draft — than take a deal similar to the one-year, $8 million contract outfielder Nelson Cruz signed with the Orioles earlier today. The $8 million Cruz will be paid is significantly lower than the $14.1 million qualifying offer he rejected from the Rangers in November.
The compensation system has drawn some criticism lately. Free agent shortstop Stephen Drew thinks the system needs tweaking. Tony Clark, head of the MLBPA, said that it “is a concern” adding that this situation would be a “topic of discussion”. It is unlikely any significant changes will be made until the collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2016 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)